Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

espoir

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 24, 2007
Here's a small free app allowing you to make your MenuBar opaque if you don't like the way it is in leopard:
http://www.eternalstorms.at/utilities/opaquemenubar/index.html

install/uninstall instructions are inside of a download package (<500kb)

And the second option:
Another app which can be found here: http://homepage.mac.com/mdsw/ may allow you to choose the color of your menu bar - it edits your wallpaper automatically to add the strip of desired color

NATO

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2005
Northern Ireland
I just tried this app and it works great. The only issue I have (and I don't think it's the fault of the app, rather how Apple renders the menu bar) is that the text on the menu bar when totally opaque looks rather jagged and aliased.

I really wish Apple hadn't mucked about with the Leopard Menu Bar... or at least give us the option to have it semi-transparent or not.

Dillinger

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2007
That solution is all well and good for people with rotating backgrounds, but if you use the same background image for a prolonged amount of time (I'm sure I'm not the only one..) it's just as effective to edit the original image (assuming it's already the exact dimensions of your screen) with a custom bar 21 pixels high at the very top. That way you can make it whatever colour, add whatever texture and really impress the ladies.

Just remember that the effect from the menubar blurs and brightens the ***** out of whatever is underneath it, so use darker colours so they don't look all over-exposed.

Attachments

• Picture 3.jpg
    Picture 3.jpg
    4.1 KB · Views: 703
  • Picture 4.jpg
    Picture 4.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 720
  • Picture 5.jpg
    Picture 5.jpg
    3.6 KB · Views: 704
  • Picture 7.jpg
    Picture 7.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 110

Dillinger

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2007
You always want what you can't have.

Personally I agree with the seemingly enormous amount of people who are against the fancy-for-the-sake-of-being-fancy route that Apple took with some of their design elements in Leopard, I just wanted to show an alternative to sitting in the corner and sobbing like a little girl.

Dillinger

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2007
By the way NATO, try playing around with the 'Font smoothing style' setting under the 'Appearance' section of the System Preferences. The monitor type recommendations have never been spot on for me, currently got it set to the CRT setting for my flat panels and it looks perfecto.

slowpoke

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2007
Bellona
All this does is stick a row of white pixels underneath the menu bar - It's still transparent, but when it's got white space underneath, that hardly matters.

Well, it matters to me, because the new properties of the transparent dock are really irritating me. I'm waiting for a real fix rather than a cosmetic one.

boz0

macrumors regular
May 21, 2007
/dev/null
Can't open the dmg

I can't open the Opaque Menu Bar dmg, always getting an error that basically says Classic is unsupported.

I realize this problem is not tied to the app itself, of course, but still, it's weird, as I can open just about any other dmg.

Any ideas?

EDIT : duh, turns out I had copied an old classic app (an hex editor) as part of a package, and, for some reason, it associated itself with .dmg files. The offender has been terminated with extreme prejudice. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.