Opaque spots on anti glare screen

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by PieMac, Jan 6, 2011.

1. PieMac macrumors 6502a

I purchased my 17" MacBook Pro last April and noticed a few months ago when cleaning the screen that there were about four small opaque spots in various sizes on the screen. I have always taken great care and never used anything other than a microfiber cloth moistened with a very small amount of water to clean the screen, so I am sure these aren't water spots, although that's what they look like. You only see them when the screen is dark and my MBP is in sleep mode, they aren't visible when it's up and running, so I'm not too majorly concerned, but it does bother me enough to question it. Too, they seem to have increased in number with time.

Has anyone else experienced this? And does anyone know what this is from? Thanks for any and all help!

2. mgartner0622 macrumors 65816

mgartner0622

It isn't oil that has rubbed of from your palms or fingers, if it touches the keyboard? (I'm guessing this is matte)
    I would try a specific screen cleaner, such as monster screenclean, and see what happens.

3. PieMac thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm pretty sure that's not the issue...I am really very mindful of such things and wash my hands often..as well as keep my keyboard clean. As a side note, my other half got her 17" MBP at the same time and she is just the opposite...I'm the one that cleans her MBP or it doesn't get done and her anti glare screen is perfect, good as new...no spots or anything. I use the same cleaning method for both.

I did try OmniCleanz by Radtech and it didn't help...I am wondering if the antiglare is coming off in spots...not really sure of how that works...or if that's even logical.

4. mgartner0622 macrumors 65816

mgartner0622

It would help more I think if you were able to post an image of the problem.
    You may be right though, the antiglare might be starting to wear, but only if you clean it extremely often and brutally, but I don't think that is the case here.

5. mgartner0622 macrumors 65816

mgartner0622

It would help more I think if you were able to post an image of the problem.
    You may be right though, the antiglare might be starting to wear, but only if you clean it extremely often and brutally, but I don't think that is the case here.

6. PieMac, Jan 6, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2011

PieMac thread starter macrumors 6502a

Here ya go...not the best, but you can see the largest spot below the flash and then a smaller spot lower.
    And, you are correct, I do a thorough job cleaning, but am very careful in the process. Thanks for your input so far!

[​IMG]

7. aCondor macrumors 6502

I can see the larger spot and 2-3 other smaller ones. They don't rub off, even if you provide a little elbow grease (not too much, though). Can you feel it physically on the screen with your finger or fingernail?

8. PieMac thread starter macrumors 6502a

Can't feel it at all physically and it won't rub off-I've tried a few times to firmly, but gently, remove them...both with just a little water and the microfiber cloth, and finally with the OmniCleanz...nothing seems to affect it.

I've also done a few Google searches and there are plenty of screen anomalies to be found, but none quite like this...strange.

9. aCondor macrumors 6502

It might be worth it to go to your local Apple store to ask them, if you have the time and it is not too far away.

10. PieMac thread starter macrumors 6502a

Unfortunately, the closest Apple stores are either a 4 or 5 hour round trip drive; otherwise, I would have gone by already just to see what they think it is. If it gets worse, I will send it in to Apple...unless I'm up for a road trip. I was just wondering if anyone else had seen anything like this...seems to be a true anomaly.

11. thatreallyhurts macrumors newbie

@PieMac - any updates?

I'm experiencing the exact same problem with my mid-2011 Air. Did the spots get worse?

12. PieMac thread starter macrumors 6502a

No they didn't....I wound up selling it and upgrading my MBP.

13. Nocky24 macrumors member