Open 17" MBP up in store, fire it up and...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by snouter, Mar 8, 2011.

1. snouter macrumors 6502a

... if it won't idle under 40C, refuse it?

Is this nonsense, or a valid strategy?

2. Brettla macrumors regular

if that falls within their specs then I don't think there is anything you can do about it.

3. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

*shrug* my MBP is at 38º right now, with iChat and Safari open.

4. /user/me macrumors 6502

When I had my other laptop, it hovered around 38 C. It was a i3, so there's nothing you need to worry about..... You have about 80 degrees before your processor gets fried.. You'll be fine unless you decide to put your computer into a pot of boing water, but then you'd have bigger problems than a processor that's too hot...

5. snouter thread starter macrumors 6502a

Looks like you have a C2D and not a new Quad?

6. DeeEss macrumors 6502a

you might wanna ask what they think is acceptable temp first.

7. snouter thread starter macrumors 6502a

Probably.

One of the nice things about the MBP to me over the years is how quiet they are. I had an i7 Quad Sony F last year and returned it after 2 weeks - the fan was always on at least medium and went to high if I did anything.

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Complete nonsense! Your temps will vary significantly, depending on the apps/processes/widgets running, as well as other factors. Temps in the range from 40C to over 100C are quite normal. Just buy it and use it. If there's any problem after you buy it, that's what the warranty is for.

9. Hook'Em2006 macrumors 6502

what temp are you guys talking about? there are like 5 different ones. What is the important one?

10. snouter, Mar 8, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2011

snouter thread starter macrumors 6502a

Looking at the thermal paste thread... it seems that these things are capable of CPU idle temps in the low 30C range.

11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The primary heat sources are the GPU and CPU.

12. sk3tch macrumors regular

I'm idling at 52 C according to iStat Menus...but my Radeon 6750M is activated since I'm connected to an external monitor. (15.4"/2.2/8GB/128GB SSD)

13. striker33 macrumors 65816

striker33

My temps have been dropping ever since I opened it yesterday, 15" high end btw.

Currently idles at around 30c with chrome and 6 or so tabs open.

14. Brettla macrumors regular

If you want those temps you might have to rip into your brand new computer yourself.

15. snouter thread starter macrumors 6502a

Would you say that your fan is off/low/med/high ?

16. snouter thread starter macrumors 6502a

Pointless is you copying and pasting this post over and over again like there is some grand wisdom you are gate keeping.

Like I said, it's mostly about the fan. I just don't want a hair dryer for a laptop.

If the thing is going to idle with a medium fan and then kick in a high fan if I do anything, than I'm more likely to keep my 2010 i5 which is SILENT at idle and general use.

17. sk3tch macrumors regular

It's off. It kicks in when I run anything intensive - like I was running Handbrake runs for another thread in this forum - it got up to 91 C but went down after the fan ran.

In general it is not very loud or annoying in Mac OS X. However, in Win7 bootcamp it does get a bit annoying since the management is a bit off. I use Lubbo's to fix.

18. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If people keep asking the same questions, I'll keep posting the same answers. There's only so many ways to answer the same question. Besides, my purpose in posting those links here is to illustrate how many obsess over temps.
    Actually, you didn't say it's mostly about the fan. Your OP says nothing about fan speed; only temps. Even subsequent posts don't indicate that fan speed is your primary concern.
    You might have made that more clear by referring to fan speed instead of temperatures, since they're two different things. All MBP fans idle at around 2000 rpm and only spin faster when higher temps are sustained for a period of time; not just spikes in temps.
    MBP fans are never off while the MBP is running. They are always running at a minimum of around 2000 rpm.

19. snouter thread starter macrumors 6502a

Cool, that's good to hear.

And yeah, the fan should run under Handbrake, no issues there.

And Windows has always run a little warm on the MBPs - just not optimized for the hardware and vice versa.

20. snouter thread starter macrumors 6502a

Posts 7 and 15.

On a laptop it's a given. If it runs warm, there will be blood, er, I mean fan.

If it idles with a medium fan, than that is as good as it gets right? But it looks like some people are getting higher than 40C idle temps and no fan noise, so that is encouraging. That Sony I had was a hair dryer. Performance was good, but I could not live with it. Fan was always audible and it only got louder under load.

But thanks anyway, I know you mean well.

21. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Post 7 only mentions the fans on your Sony and the fact that you like how quiet the MBP is. It doesn't state that fans are your primary concern. Post 15 only asks a question about fans, but again, doesn't indicate that fans are anything more than a casual interest beyond what appeared to be your primary concern about temps. All that is irrelevant now, since you've finally clarified that your primary interest is fans and not temps.

There is no "medium" fans. Your fan speed will fluctuate as needed. Most of the time, they'll remain at 2000 rpm, which is silent enough I can't hear them at all unless I lay my ear on the keyboard. If you do something that places higher demands on the system and temps rise and are maintained for a period of time, your fans may temporarily spin faster to cool things down. As soon as the intensive activity subsides, your fans will return to 2000 rpm.
    ScreenCap 16.png

22. kjos8035 macrumors member

So you want to keep trying different macbooks until you find one that runs as cool as you want it to. brings the lols.

23. T-bag Guest

Got my brand new sandy bridge 17" today. Idleing at 35-40. Thought that was normal?

24. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Depending on which temp you're referring to, yes, it's normal.