Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mrg02d

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 27, 2012
Hey guys, is there a cydia tweak to allow me to open a different weather app when I click the weather widget?

MaxPower49

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2008
I use forecast to get the weather widge on my lockscreen, then set activator to open the TWC app when I doble tap the lockscreen clock. Works for me.

There is also an app called 'openother.' That might do what you want also.

jaliadema

macrumors newbie
Feb 19, 2013
why not use shortcuts from different websites. one of my favorite is sunpreview.com it's for annual weather forecast. my fellows use it for trips and booking. ;)

From A Buick 8

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2010
Ky Close to CinCinnati
I use forecast to get the weather widge on my lockscreen, then set activator to open the TWC app when I doble tap the lockscreen clock. Works for me.

There is also an app called 'openother.' That might do what you want also.

I tried open another, but it does not seem to work. It may be because both apps are named weather.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Got this!

Openother wants the com.xxx.xxx name, the CFBundleIdentifier.

In my case, to redirect the Apple Weather app to the new Yahoo Weather app it's thus (see screenshot):

You can get the CFBundleIdentifier using iFile and opening info.plist and using Property Viewer in iFile.

I found this information here.

Hope that helps someone!

Attachments

• 2013-04-28 21.11.04.png
    2013-04-28 21.11.04.png
    129.9 KB · Views: 102

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
Got this!

In my case, to redirect the Apple Weather app to the new Yahoo Weather app it's thus (see screenshot):

You can get the CFBundleIdentifier using iFile and opening info.plist and using Property Viewer in iFile.

Hope that helps someone!

You can just use AppInfo from Cydia.

From A Buick 8

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2010
Ky Close to CinCinnati
Openother works for me (opening WeekCal when I press the Calendar app icon). You have to enter the bundle name in the settings, not the name of the app.

Got this!

Hope that helps someone!

Thanks

You may ask why not just use the yahoo weather Icon, in place of the ios weather icon. my reason is because i have the cydia tweak to overlay the current temp on the iOS weather icon.

BumpyFlatline

macrumors 68030
Apr 11, 2012
Thanks

You may ask why not just use the yahoo weather Icon, in place of the ios weather icon. my reason is because i have the cydia tweak to overlay the current temp on the iOS weather icon.

Are you referring to weatherIcon? I haven't bothered using it on iOS6, but on iOS5 you could choose any weather app you had installed. Has this changed in iOS6? Does it only work with the stock weather app?

lukejc1

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2013
Wisconsin
Are you referring to weatherIcon? I haven't bothered using it on iOS6, but on iOS5 you could choose any weather app you had installed. Has this changed in iOS6? Does it only work with the stock weather app?

This hasn't changed. You can set weathericon to any app icon you choose. It's not even limited to weather apps either. You can overlay Angry Birds if you want to.

From A Buick 8

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2010
Ky Close to CinCinnati

This hasn't changed. You can set weathericon to any app icon you choose. It's not even limited to weather apps either. You can overlay Angry Birds if you want to.

I was not aware of this feature.

lanceuppercut47

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2013
"UK Weather" allows custom app opening from the NC as a bit of a side job of what the app is meant to do, it's relevant for me in the UK but not sure whatnot does to non-UK people..

BumpyFlatline

macrumors 68030
Apr 11, 2012

You're right. I forgot that you could do any app. I always used the weather channel app and forgot weatherIcon listed every single app installed on the device to choose from haha

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
It's actually in the Weather Widget settings.

Settings>Notifications>Weather Widget. Towards the bottom.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.