Open an opened PDF in OS X Preview with a Windows 7 Adobe reader on Parallels?

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by carmeloamores, Jul 7, 2014.

1. carmeloamores macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

I just want a simple way to open a PDF that is already opened in OS X Preview with an application in my Windows 7 (running on Parallels 9).

I think it's possible with "Services" menu, but how??

I just want to do this with Word, Excel and Powerpoint files there are opened in Mac OS X and I want to open them in Parallels' Windows 7.

I know you probably think "Why using a windows app????", I agree with you but my laser printer doesn't work with Mac OS X (I hate Develop ineo 164 ..).

Can you help me please?

Thank you

Carmelo

2. ArtOfWarfare macrumors 604

ArtOfWarfare

Parallel would have to offer some kind of scripting API that would allow you to control their VMs, I think.

But I don't really know - maybe it exposes the contents of the VM to OS X in such a way that a normal "open in" OS X script would work.

3. Janichsan macrumors 65816

Janichsan

I can't currently check this myself now, but there is an option in Parallels' VM settings that allows you to open documents in Windows applications from the OS X side. If I recall correctly, the Windows apps then should turn up when right-clicking on a file under "Open with…".

4. carmeloamores thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, Parallels does it. But what I searching for is open file already opened in Adobe Reader windows app, like a service (that there is not).

Thank you Janichsan!

Carmelo

Attached Files:

5. ArtOfWarfare macrumors 604

ArtOfWarfare

So perhaps you can write a simple AppleScript which finds the front most document, then opens the document in the Windows executable.

6. carmeloamores thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, but how? I'm not a developer, it is impossible for me :D

7. chown33 macrumors 604

It's not impossible. Start by learning how to make Services using Automator:
    http://www.macosxautomation.com/services/learn/index.html

The second service in that simple tutorial shows how to make a Service that passes selected items in Finder (documents) to a specific application. Once you understand the principle, by following the example, you should be able to apply the same principle to opening a document in a Parallels app.