Open apps are hogging memory - 8 core mac pro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by valdore, Sep 19, 2008.

1. valdore macrumors 65816

valdore

As you can see in the attachment, the apps I'm running aren't that big of a deal for the most part. This is a 2007 version 8-core mac pro, 8 GB RAM. I'm curious what happens to make the apps open bog down the computer like this? Just leaving everything running for days at a time?

Attached Files:

2. Lord Zedd macrumors 6502a

Lord Zedd

Dude, they are Adobe products. They are and always have been resource hogs. They are using 1.1% of your CPU, if you need the ram space either close one of them or get more ram.

3. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Doesn't look like you have 8GB. The yellow section should be 1/4 but it looks like its taking almost 80 percent. But Adobe apps do use alot of resources.

4. valdore thread starter macrumors 65816

valdore

Yes, but why are the Finder, Firefox, and iTunes all taking up over a Gig each also?

5. Lord Zedd macrumors 6502a

Lord Zedd

That is Virtual memory, hard drive memory. Those three are using 38mb, 48mb and 146mb of real memory.

6. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

They aren't. VSize is not the amount of RAM they are using. RSize is.

Not really. It's the size of their virtual process space. Adding up all the vsizes will certainly not tell you the amount of virtual memory in use (as checkable by the swapfile files in /varvm). For example I currently have under 1Gb of swapfile total in use:

MacBook-Pro:vm robbie$ du -h swapfile*
    64M swapfile0
    64M swapfile1
    128M swapfile2
    256M swapfile3
    512M swapfile4

But I have 10 processes with a Vsize of over 1000Mb. I only have 2Gb of RAM this we can see that vsize is directly related to memory use at all as it includes shared memory, memory mapped files etc.

7. Greyelm macrumors newbie