Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Graveyard

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 29, 2009
Romania
Ok, guys. So my question is as follows. Is there a program that i can use to view files made with autocad software on wintel machines? I want to bring to work one of my ppc macs. I'll be making translations on it using ms office. But i also need to translate text portions and labels within autocad generated files. I don't need to edit the skematics, just translate text found within the files. Any suggestions? The wintel machines at my workplace are ancient and i am sick and tired of working with them.

Graveyard

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 29, 2009
Romania
If it is an autocad file, it is with .dwg extension. You can open it up using illustrator since a dwg file is a vector file.

Ok, so another question. Do you think i'll be able to open the dwg files made with autocad 2007 using illustrator cs2? I'm thinking about the "age gap" between the two programs...

Nameci

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2010
The Philippines...
Ok, so another question. Do you think i'll be able to open the dwg files made with autocad 2007 using illustrator cs2? I'm thinking about the "age gap" between the two programs...

Why not? This is just a wild guess if it is 2D then you should be good. All of the drawings from the company that I am working here in China are 2D. And i can open it just fine on my powerbook. I can edit the texts which I am actually doing since I am translating everything chinese to english.

Graveyard

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 29, 2009
Romania
Why not? This is just a wild guess if it is 2D then you should be good. All of the drawings from the company that I am working here in China are 2D. And i can open it just fine on my powerbook. I can edit the texts which I am actually doing since I am translating everything chinese to english.

Cool! Thanks! I'll try it.
Ps. I translate from english to romanian and viceversa.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.