Open box iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by mtvalenz, Feb 4, 2011.

1. mtvalenz macrumors newbie

Has anyone else seen open box iPads for sale at major retailers? I just purchased a 64G 3G for $719. I couldn't pass it up. They had one more for sale also. I was thinking of buying that one too.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Personally I avoid open box items when it comes to electronics. Correct me if I'm wrong but open box usually infers that the product was opened in the store for a reason, or returned by a customer.

While getting a refurb is not a bad thing, because apple checks things over before re-selling the product. I'm not sure anyone gave the open box a thorough review to make sure it was working as it should.

3. Saberon macrumors 6502a

I avoid open box items unless it's something small like a cable/adapter. I recently bought a Refurb iPad from Apple.ca and it's indistinguishable from new.

4. baummer macrumors 6502a

Refurbished products are not the same as open box items. Open box generally refers to an electronic item that was purchased and returned. The product is inspected, and as long as it doesn't show too many imperfections, will be marked down and placed for sale. I have never purchased an open box item and would recommend against it. That being said, I have been wrong before and thanks to the law of averages it's entirely possible to find a good product in an open box situation.

5. poloponies macrumors 68030

It has 3 months of warranty left at a minimum. If there's a problem it should become evident in that time frame.

6. Acorn macrumors 68020

Acorn

i would not buy an open item like that. what if a person bought 2 ipads. 1 with 3g and 1 with out. then kept the 3g version and stuck the normal no 3g in the 3g box and return it. getting a 3g at regular non 3g price.

so you go to buy it taking it home only to find out it has no 3g despite what it said on the box.

7. hi res macrumors member

hi res

Return policy and procedures would surely protect from this type of deception. They're going to inspect that the product is what it should be before accepting it. There is a giant black stripe on the back of the 3G so it wouldn't be hard to identify.

8. Acorn macrumors 68020

Acorn

maybe from an apple store they would. but walmart employees not so much. as long as they see the device is there i doubt they would check it any further then that.

9. Saberon macrumors 6502a

I returned a new iPad once (WiFi was greyed out of the box) and the girl at the return desk just opened the box, saw the iPad and processed the refund. Didn't even see if the accessories are there.

10. mtvalenz thread starter macrumors newbie

Open box ipad

Best Buy checks everything. Also, it has same warranty as a brand new un-opened unit.