Open Box item, must decide

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by brobson, May 26, 2013.

1. brobson macrumors 6502

brobson

My daughter got an open box macbook from Best Buy 2 weeks ago. They said we could return it within 2 weeks. It has shut down by itself about 4 times.
    Should we bother or just go through apple to get it repaired. will Best Buy charge us anything if we bring it back or make us go through their repair center, etc.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If it were me and any computer brand new or open box shut down on its on 4x. I'd send it back.

Looks like there was a reason why this was returned to Best Buy, its defective.

3. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

I could see Apple going two different routes with this. They could either give you a replacement since it's within warranty, or they'll take no responsibility since they didn't sell it to you and it was opened. I'm not sure what Best Buy will do, but I wouldn't buy from them again.

4. trikky macrumors regular

If it were me, I'd take it back. Clearly there are some issues if it's shutting down. Apple may fix the problem under warranty, depending on what the cause of the problem is, but they won't replace it because you didn't buy it from them.

Return the BB computer and look at Apple's web site for possible refurbished deals. You get excellent value and it's a no-risk purchase that has full warranty.

5. Bear macrumors G3

You have a defective open box item from Best Buy and you ask us what to do with it? I'd say return it. You have no clue what the system has been through. And if it has say water damage, Apple won't repair it under warranty.

6. brobson thread starter macrumors 6502

brobson

took her back

So now I'll order one from the education dept. My daughter doesn't want to do used anymore.
    Thanks everyone.

7. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

8. makinao macrumors regular

Take it back, NOW. Then get an Apple refurbished unit, if it turns out cheaper than an educational discount.

9. amit715 macrumors member

take it back..that isnt a normal and its prob a lot more wrong with it

10. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

11. 05GT macrumors newbie

Take it back to Best Buy while you're still within your return window. You may even get lucky and walk out with a new one.