Open box macbook pro retina 15 750m model

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by the caveman, Feb 28, 2015.

1. the caveman macrumors 6502

Best buy here in portland has the 750m model open box for $2067 and no sales tax in Oregon. Im thinking its an excellent deal but have some reservations knowing that new machines will be released soon.
    What do you guys think?

2. Hieveryone macrumors 68020

I'd wait. It's not that great a deal if you get refurbished from apple. Ask them if they'll bump it down to 1800. that'd be better IMO

3. Quu macrumors 68020

Quu

The GTX 950 is about to come out, the 850 came out last year.

The 750m was a great deal in 2013. Not worth buying today though. That's my honest opinion I'm sure people who bought a rMBP with a 750m recently will disagree with me.

Haswell is also 2013 tech, Skylake is supposedly coming in June and is not affected by the delays that have kept Broadwell out of 2014 on the high end notebooks.

In my opinion buying a rMBP right now is just like throwing money down the drain. Extremely overpriced compared to the competition and very outdated in the CPU and GPU department. Also there are 4K notebooks in 15" sizes shipping now the 2880x1800 the rMBP has is also old hat at this point.

Again I'm sure people will disagree this is just my opinion take it as you will but paying $2K on two year old technology is not my idea of a good deal.

4. blooperz macrumors 6502

This pretty much sums it up....if you can get them to bump down the price, it will be a good deal since it's still a beast of a machine. Processor upgrades between generations aren't very noticeable. The only thing that may have a significant impact depending on your usage is the improved graphics if you wait (YMMV depending on how you plan to utilize the machine)

5. stempsons macrumors regular

you should be able to get that machine for another 250 off at least. i just snagged an open box mac pro from a portland store and the price break down looked like this:

original price $2999.00
    open box price $2550.00
    minus current mac pro promo of $160
    minus $10% post office movers coupon

net price was $2150 roughly.

it's a no brainer if you're walking away with close to 30% off retail. it may be the current gen machine, but it's still a great machine and well worth the reduced price.

6. the caveman thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok thanks for all the replies. The manager wouldn't budge on any further discounts so i think I'll wait at this juncture. On a separate note, stopped by Microsoft store and the new xps 13. Inch is a one sweet machine.