Open box or Refurbished MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by steven90cr, Oct 14, 2010.

1. steven90cr macrumors newbie

Hi, im considering buy an MBP off microcenter and they have one open box for 900$ (100 less than brand new), is it safe to buy open box comparing to Refurbished?

2. devilstrider macrumors 6502a

What MBP is $1000? Even with a student discount the base 13in will cost you $1,099.00. For that price I would go new.

3. AdamRock macrumors 6502a

AdamRock

who are you buying the open box mbp from? look/test the comp. in person before buying it. refurbished is better because apple actually check's to make sure its 100% working and in mint condition.

4. paintballswimgu macrumors 6502

microcenter is a very reliable place to purchase from. Make sure it all works perfect before you buy it. Check it out completely. And make sure its still eligible for applecare, or better yet, see if it already has been registered, that would be awesome.

5. tcphoto macrumors 6502a

tcphoto

I bought an opened box Powerbook from a local Apple Store a few years ago. I would have never thought it was an open box unless I saw the post it with "buyers remorse" stuck on the box. I saved a couple hundred dollars and got a couple years use out of it. There were some issues in the end and Apple ended up replacing it with the first generation unibody MBP.

6. mac8867 macrumors 6502

I went to the site, looks like it's a Mid-2009 MBP 13.3" 2.4GHz, 4GB, 250 GB HDD.... really a great price and a great machine. I WOULD recommend it at that price. Just make sure you understand the specs of the 2009 vs the 2010.

7. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

safe choice is a refurb from Apple ... I have never had good results on open box of anything

the refurbs are as good as new and Apple treats them the same