Open box warranty

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by zmanlane, Mar 26, 2015.

1. zmanlane macrumors newbie

Hey everyone. I had a quick question for you guys. If i bought an open box MBP 13" 2014 retina 256 SSD, Does the apple warranty start from when I bought it or when it originally was purchased. I usually only buy new items but best buy had a sale which allowed me to get this model for 995.00 which I thought was good even though it was open box. Thanks for your input in advance!

2. newellj macrumors 601

Original purchase date, not your purchase date.

3. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

First purchase date reported to Apple. I bought an open box and the warranty reflected my purchase date.

4. newellj macrumors 601

I didn't mention that because it's less common, but that is correct. I believe that when you set up the computer it communicates with Apple, assuming you have and enable an internet connection. Until then, Apple has no way of knowing whether the computer is sitting on a rack at a retailer or in a box in your house or business.

The 13" rMBP I'm typing this on was an open box item but had never connected with Apple, so the warranty started when I set it up. I've had several other open box Apple computers, including my current 2012 Mini, and they all had warranties that had started before my purchase date.