open camera app, hard crash, lather, rinse, repeat

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by scriptkitten, Aug 12, 2007.

1. scriptkitten macrumors regular

scriptkitten

a few hours ago my previously perfect iPhone decided to freak out.

Opening the camera app causes the screen to go white and fuzzy. Then it reboots itself.

Anytime I let the iPhone sit in sleep mode for longer than a few moments it totally freezes while in sleep and requires a reset.

The last thing i did before the phone started acting funny was open the camera app. I then turned the screen off without taking a pic

I have done a complete reset/restore cycle. My computer restored data from the backup.

The problem is still there except for now my camera roll is empty. It had like 190 pix previously

I am going to the 24 hr apple store later. I don't really care if the replace or fix my phone, but I may be leaning towards a fix since I have a good screen, speakers, & battery

Have any of yall seen anything like this? Is there anything else I should do in the way of troubleshooting?

2. b257177 macrumors regular

Yours is the first I have read about this, though that might not mean too much. I am sure the Apple store will work something out for you, exchange or otherwise.

On that note, you have a 24 hour Apple store near you? How cool is that!!?

3. scriptkitten thread starter macrumors regular

scriptkitten

joy! I get to be the first iPhone user with a demonic camera!

Yes I do feel blessed to be near the NYC 5th ave store. I would be a lot more pissed about this if I wasn't so close

4. scriptkitten thread starter macrumors regular

scriptkitten

so, last night apple gave me a loaner phone and sent my broken one away to be fixed... however they tried to charge me $30 for the loaner phone. i whined about the unfairness of such a policy (after all i didn't drop the thing, its defective plain and simple) and they waived it. has anyone else had to deal with that?

5. silvanojr macrumors newbie

nice... my brand new 16GB has the same problem.
    Have you done any changes to it or it was already crazy since the first time you got it?

6. badmac78 macrumors 6502

My iPhone camera is useless

I'm having a similar issue. . . I plan on taking it in to the store . . .
    Did an upgrade to 1.1.4 (no jailbreak). Camera worked fine for about 2 weeks. Now every time I open either the camera or photos . . . screen jumps back to home. The folks at the store weren't too helpful last time I went, so I'm hesitant to waste the gas in driving there.

7. jukie macrumors newbie

Same problem

I'm wondering if there was ever a solution posted for this? Or is it just a bum phone? This happens to me all the time and it's very annoying.

8. normalnorman macrumors newbie

same here

I'm having the same issue and it makes the iPhone really hard to use on a day to day basis. I've tried everything short of opening the case and taking out camera, which someone else said was the way to go.

If anyone has any other advice, please send.

9. marmotton macrumors newbie

I have the same issue (start camera app, freeze and automatic reboot). I will try to take it to the Apple store and see what they do.

Brand new iPhone 4, less than 1 day old.

10. marmotton macrumors newbie

Update:
    I went to the Apple store today with this brand new iPhone. The Apple genius did a clean restore to factory setting. The problem persisted. The diagnosis: hardware defect. They replaced the iPhone with a brand new phone, no question asked.

They recommended I do a restore as if this was a new iPhone. Instead I restored my old 3G backup on the new phone. No problem. So far so good.