Open CL on rMPB doesn't work with GT 650M?

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by oschrenk, Aug 28, 2012.

1. oschrenk macrumors newbie

I'm trying to run Apple's Hello World OpenCL example. It does compile, but fails with
    Code:
    Error: Failed to create a command commands

I also tried to run a JOCL based sample application which also fails when trying to create a command queue with a GPU device (with CPU everything works fine.)

Does anybody else have this problems?

2. Persifleur macrumors member

It works for me (rMBP running XCode 4.4.1 on 10.8.1).

Code:
    Computed '1024/1024' correct values!

3. oschrenk thread starter macrumors newbie

I've tried other peoples code,including the code samples from the OpenCL book and all fail with CL_INVALID_VALUE can't create Command queue.

I'm really stumped (and in despair to be honest, as I need this to work for my master thesis). I tried the examples in admin and standard accounts, and using gfxCardStatus forcing to use discrete graphics.

Have you installed anything besides XCode?

4. Persifleur, Aug 29, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2012

Persifleur macrumors member

I've tried gcc and clang from the command line with the same result (clang -framework OpenCL hello.c -o hello). Using gfxCardStatus, I've tried both Automatic Switching and Discrete Only, neither of which failed. When set to Automatic Switching, I see the Growl notification that the 650M is briefly engaged before switching back to the 4000. I can only get it to fail if I set properties to a non-zero value in the call to clCreateCommandQueue.

Have you tried passing an error notification callback function into clCreateContext to see if you get anything useful?

e.g.
    Code:
    #include <OpenCL/cl_ext.h>

context = clCreateContext(0, 1, &device_id, [B]clLogMessagesToStdoutAPPLE[/B], NULL, &err);