Open FCP 6 file in FCP 5?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Gymnut, Dec 1, 2007.

1. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

As the title states, is it possible to open a project created in Final Cut Pro 6, in Final Cut Pro 5 for viewing/playback?

I'm planning on editing my final project on my computer that has FCS2, as opposed to using the school's lab that's chock full of pokey Quicksilver G4s running FCP 5.

I'm concerned that for viewing purposes, there may be a problem with playback in class(I could just export to quicktime) although my instructor would like to see our Timelines and how we've set up the project. Playback in FCP 5 is something I'm not entirely concerned about, but what I am worried about is that when I try to open my project up under FCP 5, it won't open, stating: "This project has been created by another version of Final Cut Pro."

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

2. FF_productions macrumors 68030

FF_productions

I don't think it is possible

Final Cut will tell you that you are trying to open a project that is made for Final Cut Pro 6 and will not open it up. (this is from experience)

When I tried opening a Final Cut Pro 5 project in FCP 6, it told me that if I were to work on the project, it can now only be done in FCP 6.

Compatibility sucks

3. Gymnut thread starter macrumors 68000

Gymnut

Dang. It seems projects created in version 6.02 are not backward compatible with 6.01 so I guess there would be no hope for FCP 5. Ah well, I had wanted to upgrade to FCS2 for awhile now but I guess I'll either have to re-install FCS1 or use the school's 867mHz Quicksilvers sporting a hefty 512mb of RAM each. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the affirmation, FF.

4. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Export the project from FCP 6 as an XML and open that in FCP 5.

Lethal

5. Gymnut thread starter macrumors 68000

Gymnut

This would permit playback through the timeline/canvas in FCP5?

6. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

The XML (use V.2 for FCP 5.0.x and V.3 for FCP 5.1.x) contains all of the project data so when you open double click on the XML file FCP 5 will create a new project that mirrors your FCP 6 project.

Lethal

7. Gymnut thread starter macrumors 68000

Gymnut

Hey thanks Lethal. You've saved me the headache of having to re-install FCS1.

-A humble Editing major at the Academy of Art University

8. FF_productions macrumors 68030

FF_productions

Ah cool I'll do that next time.

I'm learning something everyday with FCP.