Open files with no extension names.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by UT-Battelle, Jun 26, 2008.

1. UT-Battelle macrumors newbie

I just got my new MacbookPro. It is annoying that the Terminal is set as the default opener for those files without an extension name. For example, a file like "car" will be opened by the terminal when I double click it. The terminal will execute each line of the file as a command.
    Is there any way to set TextEdit.app as the default opener for any file that is not explicitly assigned to an application? Thanks.

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Why TextExit? Do you know the true file types of your extensionless files? If you do, then you can drag and drop the file onto the icon of a compatible application.

3. erdomi macrumors newbie

I would love to know the answer to this question too. I am new to mac and used to use linux, which would open extensionless files in a text editing program. I like it that way. I want a text editing program because I have produced a lot of text files in my linux machine with no extensions. I want all of these files to be opened in a text editor by default. I know I can change the default app for any particular file, but it will not "change all" for the files that have no extensions. Any help would be greatly appreciated.