Open folder in Finder or open file from HTML/browser

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by mike1, Aug 15, 2012.

1. mike1 macrumors newbie

Hi,

Is there a way to have an hyperlink in an HTML document and possibly Javascript function that when clicked opens a file using the OS X default application or a folder in Finder. For instance: Clicking a link that would cause a text file to open TextWrangler, or clicking a link to a path that opens a Finder window at that location.

I tried these but they don't work:
    Code:
    <a href="/Users/mike/Desktop/test.txt">test</a>
    <a href="file://localhost/Users/mike/Desktop/test.txt">test</a>
    <a href="Macintosh HD:Users:mike:Desktop:test.txt">test</a>

The first two open the text file in the browser window and the third produces an error page in the browser.

As for opening a folder:

Code:
    <a href="/Users/mike/Desktop/">test folder</a>

This correctly opens the Finder window in Safari (cool), but Chrome and Firefox just display a directory listing in the browser window.

I realize this is probably based on security reasons for browsers and OS's and so it's probably wouldn't be a straightforward process, but it's for an internal/local page for my personal use, so if it involved third-party software or browser extensions that would be fine with me.

I googled this but it's hard to find info about it because the search terms end up together a lot in articles that are unrelated to my issue. Thanks for any help you can give.

2. aagd macrumors newbie

According to Frank Woolsey from Bare Bones Software this is not supported - at least not by an URL scheme.
    Original Thread

I'd recommend to open text files in TextMate instead, using this scheme:
    txmt://open?url=file:///Users/YourUsername/Desktop/yourfile.txt
    URL Scheme @ TextMate Manual