Open Folders from desktop to view easier....

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Peter Franks, Jun 22, 2011.

1. Peter Franks macrumors 65816

Just wondered if it was possible for all the open windows to go to dock, when open. Just doing some payments online and have to refer to document, emails, safari etc, and although you have the F3 button, I find it easier to just click at dock to bring them up again, but unless you physically take them down by clicking top left they aren't in the bottom right dock but open and underneath what I need on desktop?

Also, when making online payments in Word, probably a Word thing not a Mac thing, I need to highlight sets of numbers to copy number, but it offered me 'Ignore' and 'Grammar', as opposed to 'copy'. Is that a setting or has to be cmd/C instead of right click?

2. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Maybe you can find the solution you need in System Preferences > Expose and Spaces > Expose (Is that F3 on a MacBook?) There are ways to manipulate windows that you might not know about. If that doesn't help, I'll bet there are apps out there that can do even more. Someone who uses one will be along eventually...

3. Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks Gregg, yes F3 is the one that shows all open windows

4. Gregg2 macrumors 603

I just tried Option-Yellow button, and two open Safari windows were docked. An open System Preferences window remained. Option-Shift-Yellow did it in super slow motion, probably not what you want.

On my desktop (Mini) Expose keys are set to All Windows: F9 | Application Windows: F10 | Show Desktop: F11

That last one might help. Otherwise, Option-Yellow for each application, but that only helps you when you have more than one window open in the same app.

Another thing to consider: Spaces. If all the things you don't want to see are open in one Space, switch to another Space for a "clean slate". But, if you need to open another window in one of the banished apps, it will open in the previous Space, assuming you had assigned it there.

As for part 2 of your post, I'm not sure I get it. (quite literally) Please define "it". That is, what action are you taking?

5. Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816

Hey Gregg, yellow button you mean the minimise one?

When I was highlighting the numbers to copy and paste, there was no 'copy' option, It may just be a word thing, but I used the Cmd/c/v instead

6. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Yes, that's the one.

Ok, so Edit > Copy from the Menu bar. Those things are part of the System User Interface, and there's a plist for that.

HD/Users/YourUserName/Library/Preferences/com.apple.systemuiserver.plist

Move the file from the above location out onto your Desktop.
    Restart the computer.
    Better?
    If yes, Trash that file.
    If not, you can put it back where it was. It will overwrite the new one that was created when you restarted.