Open folders in new tab Mavericks

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by SrApy, Oct 27, 2013.

1. SrApy macrumors newbie

Hi,
    when I open a two or more folders on my desktop they opened in new windows.
    is there a way to let them open in new tabs instead?
    I was using total finder in mountain lion and it was working fine

I already checked open folders in new tabs in finder preferences

but still they open in new windows

any idea?

2. KALLT macrumors 601

I was wondering the same thing, it does not seem to be the case. The preference you mentioned only seems to work when you either press the command key while double clicking on a folder or use the right-click menu to open it. It does not work with folders on the desktop or the dock, however.

There may be a hidden preference for this in Terminal, but I have not found a command that does this. The only way to deal with this (for now) is to merge all the windows into tabs every time (Window > Merge All Windows).

I don't understand why Apple created this discrepancy between Safari and Finder while obviously modelling the latter after the former. There is also no way to always show the tab bar and there is no button to open a new tab. You have to work with shortcuts or context menus in order to use, which makes the feature a lot less interesting than I hoped.

3. d.steve macrumors regular

How are you opening the folders, exactly? If by cmd-n, well, that's exactly what you're telling it to do - open a new window instead of a new tab.

You can open new tabs by hitting cmd-t or holding down cmd while clicking on a folder.

AFAICT, the only thing that checking the open folders in new tabs preference does is change the action in the right-click context sensitive menu.

4. w0lf macrumors 65816

w0lf

Interesting, it might have something to do with me having XtraFinder installed but everything automatically opens as a new tab for me rather than a new window.

Only way for me to get a new window is Command + N

You could also just use the Command + T shortcut for new tabs if you don't have XtraFinder installed.

5. SrApy thread starter macrumors newbie

@w0lf
    Thank you it worked I installed XtraFinder :)

Thanks everyone for your replies :apple:

6. KALLT macrumors 601

It also changes the behaviour when you hold command and double click on a folder. Without it, it will open a folder in a new window.

7. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

There's also a handy menu command, "Merga All Windows" that will gather all your Finder windows into tabs.

I assigned the shortcut Cmd-Shift-M to it. Also, when you have no windows open but you're on the desktop so Finder is active, Cmd-T will open a new window. So I've trained myself to never use Cmd-N anymore.

8. anp27 macrumors regular

Thanks, NewbieCanada! I've started using Cmd-Shift-M to merge all windows, thanks to your keyboard assignment idea.

9. umbilical macrumors 6502a

thanks for the tip I use cmd-shift-m! to merge all windows!

BUT!!!!! is not possible open any finder window in tabs??? I want all! everything in tabs, ONE GLOBAL finder window with tabs for ALL computer, I hate have windows around! is more easy work.

also is possible remove the annoying animation when merge all windows?

I dont understand "open folders in tabs instend new windonws"... that thing dont work!

10. campyguy macrumors 68030

"Open folders in tabs instead new windows" unchecked:
    Control-click or Right-click on any Finder window, the first command in the menu will be "Open in New Window" - or if you hold down the Option key while clicking, the first command in the menu will be "Open in New Tab".

"Open folders in tabs instead new windows" checked:
    Control-click or Right-click on any Finder window, the first command in the menu will be "Open in New Tab" - or if you hold down the Option key while clicking, the first command in the menu will be "Open in New Window".

11. umbilical macrumors 6502a

thanks,

but we want an option for open EVERYTHING in tabs... just have ONE finder window. maybe in yosemite :D

12. w0lf macrumors 65816

w0lf

Not happening. You can still use XtraFinder though.

13. campyguy macrumors 68030

Agreed, however, I was just answering your last question. Maybe in Yosemite...