"Open in background" should be the first option when you click and hold a Safari link

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TH55, Jun 5, 2012.

1. TH55, Jun 5, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2012

TH55 macrumors 68030

I just realized that when I click and hold a link in Safari, 99.99% of the time I click "open in background". I almost never click "open", which is at the top of the menu that pops up when you click and hold a link, as simply clicking the link will do this much more quickly. Now that I think about it, why is "open" even an option? It's completely redundant and actually takes longer and significantly more work than simply clicking the link.

Is there a tweak to make "open in background" the first option and put it at the top of the list, or a quicker/easier way to do this? I often click "open" by accident as it is at the top and the links are close together, which takes me away from my current page and I often lose my place; upon clicking back page it often refreshes and either takes me to the top and/or wipes clean any text I have input on message boards or other social networks.

[​IMG]

2. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

All the time. Just like on a computer, I use tabs to save a page for reading later. If I'm reading the list of blog posts, I'll open the ones I find interesting then go to them when I've scanned all the recent ones.

3. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

Almost always. Did to get to this thread while scrolling through the Forum Spy, for example. Lets it load and render while I browse.

4. Vader macrumors 65816

Vader

I always click open in background, that's the only reason I hold down on a link rather than just clicking it.

5. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

Especially handy for this. Also great for opening multiple 9gag's at the same time! ;)

6. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

Depending on the site. I may hold down the link to see where it's going to take me to. Unlike on a computer you can't mouse over a link to see the address. I think it's useful.

If I'm navigating say macrumors and see the link points to another macrumors page. I'd click open rather then background.

7. BobVB macrumors 6502a

BobVB

Ok I give

Mine says 'Open in New Page' on safari on iPad and iPhone.

Update ah it's in the settings.

8. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

Does anyone read the body text? Obviously I didn't just want to know if anybody clicked "open in background", there was a second part to my question that wouldn't fit in the title of my op.

9. oneapplegeek macrumors regular

oneapplegeek

always! Mine is now "open in a new page". I always have at least 5~6 pages opened. haha i don't wanna be redirected to the new site on the same page. :D:D

10. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

Again, did nobody read my op?

11. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

I don't believe there is a tweak to make that the default, although I have not extensively searched for one. If anyone knows of one, I too wouldn't mind having it. I use this almost every time on m phone, and 100% of the time on the iPad.

12. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

All the time - especially on MacRumors where I have the board as my main page and open up all the threads I want to read in the background.

13. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

Did you not read the second part of my post?

14. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

No. There is no tweak, at least not in the stock OS. Perhaps there might be one with a jailbreak.

15. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

That's what I meant

16. newskin macrumors 6502

If 99.99% is true, then look for sleipnizer in cydia. With it I just hold on the link and instead of a pop up menu coming up, it just opens in background automatically. :cool: check it out!

17. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

Excellent thank you, exactly what I need. Are there any drawbacks or glitches associated with this?

18. newskin macrumors 6502

Your welcome, I haven't come across any at all. there is a lite version to try out, only comes with a few gestures and it's free. The full fledged one comes with a ton more gestures. I can navigate safari using only one finger now, it's great.