Open it?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Bottomsup, May 25, 2011.

1. Bottomsup macrumors regular

Hi,

We'll I'm a windows guy lusting over a mac book pro to satisfy my inner geek and to replace my 6lb+ behemoth, I do want the latest and greatest so I was looking forward to an i5 SB version, but low and behold what shows up on my door today but a maxed out 11" that a good friend of mind bought for me in excahnge or an iPad.

Now I'm staring at this thing thinking...I know I will be bummed if the SB version comes out in the next two months and I'll lust over that too. However I have a long trip to various parts of Asia coming up in 2 weeks and would love to use the MBA on my trip.

So....i think i will crack it open and enjoy, but I full expect to want the new one when it comes out so how much of a $$$ hit do you think I will take upgrading? I could stomach ~200, but more than that makes me want to wait it out and leave this thing shrink-wrapped.

I figure it's worth it since I paid ~1/2 of what I otherwise would have if it weren't for my generous friend and the iPad 1 trade.

Thx

2. budafied macrumors member

Someone gave you a maxed out MBA 11 for an iPad 1? Crazy...

I'd say keep it. I doubt they increase standard RAM or SSD in this update. So the only upgrades would be C2D > i5(?) and Thunderbolt. With the decrease in GPU and the ridiculous deal you got, it's at worst a very close call.

3. Cheffy Dave, May 25, 2011
    Last edited: May 25, 2011

Cheffy Dave macrumors 68030

Cheffy Dave

Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
    Enjoy it and DON'T LOOK BACK!
    I have 3 of these sweet babies,with the NVidia graphics,and an OWC 360 GB SSD in each,ALL were 4GB RAM/64 SSD refurbs,we don't know what exactly is coming, BUT I know what you have, and it's one sweet machine,it's light years ahead of an iPad, ENJOY;):cool:

4. endhalf macrumors regular

I'd say go for it... Simple math - if u'd sell your iPad when new Macbook Air comes out (asuming you would sold your iPad), what would be the price you would get from iPad 1? 500-600 dollars? I don't know how about eBay but here people can't sell iPad 1 for more than 450 dollars. Now if u open your MBA and sell it 1-2 months later, you'd get those 600 dollars easily on eBay, em I right?

By the way, gratz for your trade - it was really good one.

5. Bottomsup thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks guys. I did luck out. I feel sort of bad about it, but I have an interesting relationship with this person and they often "insist". I'll have to do something nice in return...probably end up paying the full price for the MBA in the long run. LOL

6. jenzjen macrumors 68000

Now I see why you call yourself bottoms up, couldn't resist

7. h00ligan macrumors 68030

Is that a reference to your username?

Edit... Beaten to it!