Open Letter to Apple

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by MiniReplacement, Jun 9, 2017.

1. MiniReplacement Suspended

MiniReplacement

Dear Mr. Cook
    Dear Mr. Schiller
    Dear Mr. Federighi
    Dear Mr. Ives:

Sirs:

In the past few years it has become apparent that you want to control every use of your product - soldered RAM, difficult to impossible Storage replacement, etc.

However, there was one product that earned the affections of millions. The Mac Mini.

That affection was earned precisely because it was so easy to upgrade by oneself. YouTube shows a cottage industry of videos on how to upgrade the older Mac Minis in both RAM and Storage.

A true gem. It broke Apple's mold in that it attracted tinkers who are usually attracted to Linux and Windows computers. These people were not attracted to Apple's turnkey identity, but gloried in the challenge of upgrading their own Apple product.

The 2012 Mac Mini server class with quad-core i7 power was a professional grade machine which tinkerers turned in processing beasts.

But then you gutted the 2014 Mac Mini, dropped its quad-core option, soldered the RAM, and made storage almost impossible to upgrade. Overnight, the older model became more expensive than the newer ones.

That was three years ago. It has been five years since Apple released a quad-core.

Can you allow the Mac Mini to be Apple's one tinkerer line?...The one line which earns the respect of hackintoshers, and do-it-yourself PC enthusiasts?!

Can you bring back the Mac Mini with an i7 quad-core option, upgradeable RAM, and easily changed Storage?

You won't loose those technologically challenged people who still want a turnkey operation. They will always be there. But you will gain back those people who fled Apple to build hackintoshes.

Think about it!

Signed
    Mini-Replacement.

Apple reads this forum, and someone should get this to the big four above. If you agree, say so in the reply.

2. Frign macrumors member

3. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

I am sure this will make a difference. Just like the billion other posts on more or less the same topic. I am sure Apple are completely unaware of what their users want, until they read online forums.

Personally I think the Mac Mini is dead, and that the low end version of the new modular Mac Pro will cater to the same audience, albeit in a somewhat larger enclosure.

4. keysofanxiety macrumors G3

keysofanxiety

Firstly: lame. Open letters are really, really lame.

Secondly, Apple said some time ago that they're working on stuff for the Mac Mini, along with the Mac Pro and iMac Pro. The iMac Pro was sneak peaked early at WWDC so there's no reason to doubt that something similar will happen with the Mac Mini and Mac Pro.

Basically, it'd be best to wait for the update as Apple are aware what people want from the Mac Mini, then complain if it's not what you were expecting. :p

5. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

What is your source for that? I have not see anything from Apple that said "they're working on stuff for the Mac Mini." The only thing I saw was Phil Schiller saying "the Mini is important" in response to a question when he talked about a new Mac Pro. IMO, that means nothing - he wasn't going to say they didn't care about the mini. At that same event he also said Apple had a "two-prong desktop strategy" that included the iMac and Mac Pro.

As for a low end modular Mac Pro, that might be a cool computer. But I seriously doubt that anything called a "Mac Pro" will have pricing that starts at $500. ;)