Open link in background

Discussion in 'iOS 5 and earlier' started by jcorbin, Mar 23, 2012.

1. jcorbin macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted

Does anyone like this new iOS 5 feature? I don't see the point. If I want to open a link without browsing away from the current page why would I open it in the background then open my tabs then click on it. Instead of just opening it in a new page.

2. nineteenatetwo macrumors newbie

On a site like Reddit it's useful for scrolling down the front page and opening/preloading links that look interesting.

Same with Google search results.

3. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

This was my number one feature request for Safari for ages.

If I'm on a site like this where there are multiple pages of content, then I want to be able to open them all in the background and get to them when I'm ready.

I don't want to have to keep going back to the index page.

4. Arelunde macrumors 6502a

Arelunde

I agree. Safari is vastly improved in 5.1. Pages download quickly, there's no gray and white check "waiting" screens any more. It's become a very good browser whereas before it was extremely slow compared to a PC browser.

5. Young Spade macrumors 68020

That's exactly what I do on a daily basis depending on the site. Scroll down , open all desired pages to load in background, and then view them when I'm finished scrolling. Saves time.

I have found it to be faster than 3rd party browsers as well; sadly t lacks all of the nice tools and modules that come with the 3rd party ones.

Here's to hoping tighter integration with applications like Androids browsers have (Read it later/Instapaper/Readability, etc.)