Open Links from UIWebView in Safari

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by adriweb, Oct 25, 2010.

1. adriweb macrumors newbie

Hi,

I currently have a UIWebView at the bottom of my app that basically displays Google Adsense Ads.

What I would like to do is open Safari when a user clicks the ad in the webview.

I have already looked for that a lot, and the only thing I could find is a code like that :

Code:
    (BOOL)webView:(UIWebView *)webView shouldStartLoadWithRequest:(NSURLRequest *)request navigationType:(UIWebViewNavigationType)navigationType {
        if (navigationType == UIWebViewNavigationTypeLinkClicked) {
            [[UIApplication sharedApplication] openURL:request.URL];
            return false;
        }
        return true;
    }
    So, when I add this to my code, I change the name "webView" by the name of what my UIWebView is ("pubadsense"), so it finally looks like that :

Code:
    [pubadsense loadRequest:[NSURLRequest requestWithURL:[NSURL URLWithString:@"http://adriweb.free.fr/pub.html"]]];

- (BOOL)pubadsense:(UIWebView *)pubadsense shouldStartLoadWithRequest:(NSURLRequest *)request navigationType:(UIWebViewNavigationType)navigationType {
    		if (navigationType == UIWebViewNavigationTypeLinkClicked) {
    			[[UIApplication sharedApplication] openURL:request.URL];
    			return false;
    		}
    		return true;
    	}

But when I want to compile, Xcode tells me :

What am I supposed to do now ?

Isn't the code I found working for this particular case ?

Thanks !

2. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Don't rename delegate methods. It's called webView:shouldStartLoadWithRequest:navigationType: for a reason.

3. adriweb thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, but when I leave "webView" like that :

Code:
    	- (BOOL)webView:(UIWebView *)webView shouldStartLoadWithRequest:(NSURLRequest *)request navigationType:(UIWebViewNavigationType)navigationType {

Xcode tells me "webView" is undeclared....

But the
    is still here .....

4. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

You're not trying to define your delegate method within another method, are you?

5. adriweb thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmm.... Maybe, I'm not sure...

EDIT : Yes I think I am ... so Where and how should I declare it correctly ?

(Yep, I'm probably a "noob" in iPhone developing, as I started few days ago...)

This is what I have :

[​IMG]

Would giving the source help (I mean, in a .zip file)

6. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

How: you should declare it like any other method in the class.
    Where: doesn't really matter for delegate methods; wherever makes sense for you.

I think you are so fresh to iPhone developing that I'm gonna suggest you step back from the real coding and go learn the basics of iPhone Development / Objective-C programming. Don't come back to this issue until you are comfortable with them.

7. adriweb thread starter macrumors newbie

What's weird though is that I've seen several open-source projects that kind of did the same.... Well, I'll keep trying...

Oh well, yes, you're 100% right, I actually wanted to build a little app with some parts taken from examples here and there, so, I will definitely learn the basics first, but it shouldn't take so long (I hope) considering I also develop in some other languages... :)

Thanks for your help though !

8. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

"Kind of" doesn't count. Precision is important. I doubt those projects (don't be afraid to link to these kinds of things when discussing them) are violating the basic syntax of method implementation; if they are, that's bad cause they won't even compile, as you've run into.

9. adriweb thread starter macrumors newbie

While I'm still on that... do you have an example of what I'm trying to do ?

[​IMG]
    And by the way, I bought this book, so I'll dive into the basics as soon as possible (I'm a student and I actually have a lot of school things to do ...)

10. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Not off the top of my head, no. You may need to use some creativity to mold existing solutions to fit your needs.

Make sure you understand Objective-C before you begin that book.