Open MacBook Pro Now or Wait

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by DMC-12, Feb 12, 2008.

  1. DMC-12 macrumors 6502

    DMC-12

    Joined:
    May 16, 2007
    Location:
    Nashville, TN
    #1
    So my refurbished SR MacBook which arrived on Feb. 1 had a faulty internal mic as well as some other issues which gave me the opportunity to talk Apple into sending me a replacement, bypassing the potentially long repair process. I started to think about how I have heard far fewer issues with MBPs, so I called Apple back, and in a moment of weakness, arranged for a refurbished MBP as my replacement instead, paying the difference.

    Apparently the MBP is being overnighted to me, and although I sort of know what I should do, I also know that I want to just open it up and enjoy.

    What I would like to do, ideally, is to buy a SR MacBook Pro for $1,499. The MBP I'm getting was $1,699. I'm actually not too worried about the imminent new MBPs, except for that fact that for an extra $100, I could theoretically be getting a redesigned MBP around, say, the 26th with a student discount. I would rather save the money on the refurbished current model, so there's a chance that if the current model refurbs are reduced in price immediately after the release of the new MBPs, I could get a rebate for the difference since the price drop would occur within 14 days after I received the MBP.

    Should I open the MBP and hope for a quick price drop (by the 27th, if I receive it today, the 13th), keep it in the package and wait to return it once the Apple event takes place, or just send it back expecting either to buy a brand new MBP when released/a price drop on the current refurbs sometime after the new ones come out? Does anyone know how long it would actually take for the refurb prices to come down after the new Pros are released?
     
  2. kyleaa macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 20, 2006
    #2
    Refurb prices are based off of the original selling price. Therefore, the refurb prices will never go down unless a new MacBook Pro came out at a lower price point - and then you would have to wait for refurbs to be available. If you can catch refurbished minis on the store, the Core Duo models are more expensive than Core 2 Duo models on there, because the CD line was priced higher.
     
  3. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

    velocityg4

    Joined:
    Dec 19, 2004
    Location:
    Georgia
    #3
    Well whether you open it or not you still would only have fourteen days for a return. I think a restocking fee applies either way on refurbished products, though that may just be for custom built models.
     
  4. DMC-12 thread starter macrumors 6502

    DMC-12

    Joined:
    May 16, 2007
    Location:
    Nashville, TN
    #4
    What about the 2.16GHz MacBook Pros? They are currently $1,499 in the refurb store, and weren't they originally the same price as the current ones new?

    The way I understand it, there isn't a restocking fee as long as it hasn't been opened.

    I have the MacBook Pro right next to me in the box, and I want to open it so badly. I don't know.
     
  5. Pees330 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    May 26, 2006
    Location:
    Las Vegas, NV
    #5
    I would just go ahead and open it now. I would think if the price of your refurbished MBP would drop it wouldn't be until the new MBP will be made available in the refurbished store. So who knows when that will be.
     
  6. Batt macrumors 65816

    Batt

    Joined:
    Dec 17, 2007
    Location:
    Syracuse, NY
    #6
    Yes, but the 2.2s took quite a while to show up at the refurb store. The price is not going down any time soon.
     
  7. Macnator macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jan 25, 2008
    Location:
    Canada
    #7
    hmm. well... I bought a MBP base model on sale.. last Saturday.... I opened it... even though the new ones are coming whenever.... but hey it is an amazing machine and I didnt pay full price... I DO NOT CARE if the new ones come out soon,.... I am perfectly content with this baby... it will last me for quite a while.. People need to understand this: In the computer world, computers are constantly being updated.... you will never have the latest thing.. at least not for long.... so I would go ahead and open it...

    Just my $0.02

    MN
     
  8. tothelimit macrumors regular

    tothelimit

    Joined:
    Jan 9, 2008
    Location:
    South Florida
    #8
    are you about to reduce the price of the iPhone? ;)
     
  9. DMC-12 thread starter macrumors 6502

    DMC-12

    Joined:
    May 16, 2007
    Location:
    Nashville, TN
    #9
    :eek: I'm staring at the Apple Certified Reconditioned Product box, thinking about the MacBook Pro waiting inside. Somebody either stop me from opening it, or convince me to rip the box open.
     
  10. Echinda macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Apr 24, 2003
  11. iToaster macrumors 68000

    iToaster

    Joined:
    May 3, 2007
    Location:
    In front of my MacBook Pro
    #11
    Open the box, the new MBPs, whenever they come out, won't have any great performance increases. Open it and be happy.
     
  12. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

    UltraNEO*

    Joined:
    Jun 16, 2007
    Location:
    近畿日本
    #12
    I don't get it... Why spend money on something you're not gonna use? Just OPEN it and be happy... I just hope you've gotten the 2.6Ghz version, it'll be a less of a worry knowing it's still current - even when they update the line.
     
  13. seantyas macrumors member

    Joined:
    Aug 12, 2003
    #13
    its not really about the slight performance increases. i think everyone just wants to know that they got value for their dollar, and really, when its the same price now as it was 8 months ago.. in the computerworld, that is NOT value, it, like any computer or laptop, should have dropped in price considerably over that time.
     
  14. heatmiser macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Dec 6, 2007
    #14
    Precisely. Why did you buy it to begin with? It sounds like you're consumed with getting the lowest possible price of your MBP. Let's say you return it. What are you going to do then? Buy another one? Keep waiting? For how long? And once you buy again, will you make another thread wondering whether you should have waited for another hypothetical discount? This is a silly way to live.
     
  15. DMC-12 thread starter macrumors 6502

    DMC-12

    Joined:
    May 16, 2007
    Location:
    Nashville, TN
    #15
    Thanks for the advice, guys. I went ahead and opened it up without even reading the last few replies. I really love it. Plus, I remembered my biggest complaint with the MacBook-style keyboard-- tHE AccIDENTAL CApS LocK ProtecTION! :)
     

Share This Page