open many webpages

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by craig1212, Apr 8, 2011.

1. craig1212 macrumors newbie

Can you guys suggest which macbook would best for someone that likes to open upwards of 40+ webpages at once. I like for all my blogs, news,music, youtube, misc websites to be open at once.(this is just a personal preference because I like to have them ALL open while surfing the web). My current toshiba sattelite L305 is PAINFULLY SLOW.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Any Mac can do that. You'll likely get better performance with 4GB of RAM, but any Mac model can handle that with ease. I've routinely opened 70+ tabs in Safari with no problems.

3. simsaladimbamba

In how many windows?

At least it explains your slow response to some of the more urgent threats.

4. craig1212 thread starter macrumors newbie

really?? 70+ tabs seem's great. But, dose that affect performance in anyway? Im currently using 3gb's of ram and the windows task manager is reporting that 89% of my physical memory is being used up by just having 50 webpages open.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Not as many windows as tabs. That many windows would be a pain to manage.
    LOL! I don't have that many open all the time. My slow response is due to a splendid combination of old age, carpal tunnel syndrome, poor typing skills and taking time out to do other important stuff.... like drinking coffee! :D
    It depends on the content of the pages. If you have 70 Flash-heavy pages open, you're going to feel it. If they're mostly text pages, not so much.

6. DustinT macrumors 68000

DustinT

I find the choice of browser matters a lot. It would probably be worth it to try a couple and see which one works best. Although I'm a Chrome user I believe either it or Firefox would be worth trying, if you haven't already.

7. craig1212 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, I've tried those two browsers, but my computer runs even slower even though Chrome is a lighter browser compared to IE. Anyways, Ive had this laptop since q'4 2008, I think its time to upgrade. With that being said, would a macbook or macbook pro be a better investment (also whats the average lifespan of both these machines) ?

8. 1nteresting macrumors member

1nteresting

I wouldn't call any machine an 'investment', haha. They always go down in price over time.

But anyway, yes. I would highly recommend getting a Mac. I've had one for 3 years now with no issues except the fact that I had to get my logic board replaced because of a power surge through my Ethernet jack. But that happened in the first year, and it's still running great. I'm not sure what the average lifespan for a Mac is, but what I do know is that any PC that I've had has problems in roughly 6months or less. It's a pain. PCs are cheaply made now adays. If you do decide to go the PC route because it's cheaper, or whatever, I would never, ever recommend an HP, Compaq (made by same company), or Dell. All of those companies have given me problems. A good manufacturer that I haven't had trouble with is ASUS.

9. leman macrumors 604

I am regularly having more then 30-40 tabs often in Chrome, while having statistical software running in the background and working with databases. It worked fine on my old plastic MB, and it works even better on my 2009 MBP ;)

10. Apple 26.2 Contributor

Apple 26.2

I usually have about 25-30 tabs open in FF with 2GB of RAM... little slow sometimes, but I deal with it.

11. Jmouse macrumors 6502

Your not slow in my book at all.