Open new Safari tab with blank page?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by myrtlebee, Aug 23, 2015.

1. myrtlebee macrumors 68020

myrtlebee

Is there any way to open a new tab (when pressing the + icon in the toolbar) with a blank page instead of one with a page with all of my favorites and frequently visited since they show anyway when I click on the address bar? Tried searching the forums and came up with nothing.

2. DeltaMac, Aug 23, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2015

DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Safari Preferences/General tab
    Then, from "New tabs open with:" change to Blank Page.

(oops! OS X Safari, not iOS Safari. Thanks for reminding me of my poor mental state :D )

3. myrtlebee thread starter macrumors 68020

myrtlebee

Where? I am talking about Safari in iOS, not OS X

4. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

It's definitely possible in iOS because I've managed to get mine into that state, but I couldn't tell you how :)

5. C DM macrumors Westmere

I believe if you don't have any favorites saved then it will load as a blank page.

6. myrtlebee thread starter macrumors 68020

myrtlebee

I want to keep my favorites, just not on new tabs. It's both redundant and a privacy concern for me. For example, if I have a new tab open and my iPad propped up on my desk during a lecture, I'd rathe other students not see my frequently visited sites and favorites.

Do you have any favorites saved?

7. C DM macrumors Westmere

I understand what you mean. I was just saying that that seemed to be the only way to get rid of that unfortunately. Perhaps you can put your favorites as just general bookmarks so that they can be accessible that way and not show up on every new tab along with frequent sites and anything else?

8. myrtlebee thread starter macrumors 68020

myrtlebee

I didn't realize you could do that and just figured out how. Thanks. I wonder though if it will also get rid of frequently visited sites. I would prefer if I could figure out the other way though to just open a blank tab and still keep favorites when tapping the address bar.

9. KALLT, Aug 24, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2015

KALLT macrumors 601

Can’t be done. Only workaround is to create an empty bookmark folder and use that one as your new favourites in Safari settings. However, this also means that you won’t see your favourites anymore when you close all tabs. You would need to open the favourites folder manually from the bookmark view every time.

You could also just move your ‘personal’ favourites into a separate folder within the favourites folder and leave the ‘less personal’ ones in the main view. That way you can still access all of them fairly easily. In iOS 9 you can also disable the frequently viewed websites entirely.

10. gaanee macrumors 6502a

You can open the 'New tab' in 'private' mode, then it doesn't show favorites. When you want favorites to show up, switch to regular mode.

11. KALLT macrumors 601

Doesn’t work on my device, they are always shown.

12. myrtlebee thread starter macrumors 68020

myrtlebee

I think this is definitely the best option. Thank you. Happy to hear iOS 9 is giving the option to do away with the frequently visted sites "feature."

13. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

It looks like I don't; I have Bookmarks, but my Favourites folder is empty. Do Favourites show up somewhere other than the "blank page" too?

14. myrtlebee thread starter macrumors 68020

myrtlebee

Yes they show up when you press on the url bar and also when you press the bookmarks icon