Open Office 3

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by lugesm, Jan 27, 2009.

1. lugesm macrumors 6502a

lugesm

Has anyone tried Open Office 3 for the Mac?

About how large is the install in megabytes?

Can the user SELECTIVELY install only certain applications from the suite, as MS Office allows?

Thanks for your comments.

2. weezer4272 macrumors newbie

Open Office 3 works great. Am at work right now so I don't know the exact size of the install, nor do I remember being able to selectively install various components.

3. Achiever macrumors 6502

Achiever

It's just under 390 mb for everything. I don't recall the install process to determine whether you can pick and choose what to install.

As for the program, I like it a lot. It is great for freeware and would still be very, very good if it cost money. Whether it is a full placement for Office depends on your needs and usage, but for most users I believe it will more than suffice.

4. lugesm thread starter macrumors 6502a

lugesm

A am a little confused about the nature of this program.

Is this one of those applications where most of the code is stored at an Internet site and only a small interface portion is installed by the user . . . allowing the user to access the bulk of the program via the Internet?

Or, is Open Office an independent, stand-alone application like MS Office?

Thanks for your comments.

5. jsgreen macrumors 6502

Open Office is a stand-alone suite of applications

6. Achiever macrumors 6502

Achiever

Stand alone like Office and iWork.

7. lugesm thread starter macrumors 6502a

lugesm

Thanks so much for your comments. I'm going to try it.

Regards, L

8. Stevo B macrumors newbie

I've used open office for a while now on various platforms and have only good things to say about it. It seems to run lighter than MS Office and I especially like that I can load it on most any OS and have the same basic interface. I currently use it on Vista, XP, OS X Tiger, and Ubuntu.

9. lugesm thread starter macrumors 6502a

lugesm

It appears that most of the sites that offer the free Open Office SW download do so only with a not-so-free "service" attached.

I am proficient with MS Office. Do I need this service?

10. GeekLawyer macrumors demi-god

GeekLawyer

The post is coming from inside the house!
    If you're proficient with MS Office, you certainly don't need any service to help you with OpenOffice. As for downloading it -- just get it from its source, where it's completely free -- openoffice.org. You'll have the ability to donate to the project, but you by no means have to do so in order to download or use the software.

11. Achiever macrumors 6502

Achiever

The "not so free service" is provided by Sun to corporations who want to use it for all of their employees and who thus need IT support for the suite. The average user does not need this and, as the above poster indicated, if you are downloading it from the right place this should not remotely be an issue.

12. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

There are a lot of parasites on the web trying to charge you for stuff you don't need. A download "service" is an example of such a scam. Internet "registry" and search engine submission services are other examples.

If somebody is burning and selling CD's, I could see going that route if you are on dialup or don't mind waiting for a mailing. An example is Canonical's Ubuntu DVD's. I happily paid 10 bucks for one of those and it came in under 2 days. By default, it installed more features than the cd iso images I had been burning and using so I was happy with it.

If you are experiencing problems downloading, be patient. It is not worth spending money or resorting to torrents which are a known source of the few instances of Mac malware in the wild.

13. sclough macrumors regular

I used to use NeoOffice, but Open Office 3 works pretty well. I've found a few very minor things (Command+M doesnt' minimize a window, etc), but overall I have found it a good office suite. I use it more than iWork and use it instead of MS Office. Definitely try it before you purchase MS Office...

14. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

Well, I am a bit disappointed. When I open .doc files created from the PC, I always get into an endless loop of the program not responding for a few seconds and then displaying something about the application not being able to connect to a spell checker...