Open office block text

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by P-Worm, Apr 12, 2007.

1. P-Worm macrumors 68020

P-Worm

I am going to start writing a screenplay for a movie I am making, but I need some information about open office before I start. I have looked through the help files and on the web and I can't seem to find a way to do blocks of text without doing tables. I assume that there must be a way to do this without tables, but I can't find it.

I want my screenplay to look like this example:

http://www.oscars.org/nicholl/script.pdf

Where the dialogue is indented on both sides into a little block. How do I easily achieve this with Open Office?

P-Worm

2. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

You mean you want to indent the paragraph?

You just drag the little triangle things on the ruler until you have the indent you want. You can use Paragraph styles to switch back and forth between indented and normal paragraphs.

3. eluk macrumors 6502a

eluk

Create a paragraph as you'd like it and save as a style. There is an option under 'Styles & Formatting' (F11) - 'New Style From Selection'.

4. P-Worm thread starter macrumors 68020

P-Worm

Ahh, there we go. I made a custom style for the pull down menu called Dialogue with different arrow handles at the top. The thing that was tripping me up was I didn't know that you needed to start a new line to make a new indenting style so each time I tried to change it, it would revert my old paragraph to something else. :eek:

Thanks for the help.

P-Worm