Open Office for Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jwolf6589, Aug 11, 2012.

1. jwolf6589 macrumors 6502a

jwolf6589

I just downloaded Open Office for SL. Looks cute however it cant save as DOCX which could be a problem, however for know it works. I did this as I do not have the money for Office 2011 at this time, or else I would buy that. Is there a MS OutLook Open Office app? I did not find one and it would be nice to get one. Apple Mail is cute, however its no replacement for MS Outlook 2011.

John

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Don't go with open office, but libre office was forked because oracle was not really living up to the open source licenses. Many of the developers went and created Libre office which is more up to date and I believe feature rich

3. robgendreau macrumors 68030

Check Thunderbird for a free mail client if you don't like Mail. And BTW, don't know if you actually looked at MS Outlook 11 for MAC but it also is a pale shadow of the Windows version, so you're not missing that much.

4. jwolf6589 thread starter macrumors 6502a

jwolf6589

Oh I have played with it and it is MUCH NICER than Mail and Thunderbird. Entourage 2004 is nice, however its sluggish on my Mac due to it being PPC native code. I would upgrade to Office 2008, but there is no point as its old. I do not want to pay $200 for Office 2011, but it is necessary before I move to ML.

----------

Open Office is no replacement for MS Office. Perhaps it would be better to save the money to get Office 2011 so I can move to ML.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Why do you say that? What specific tasks that MS Office can do that you need, that Open (libre) office cannot.

Many people here and out there eschew the usage of MS office for Libre office and have done so successfully.

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You should really give Libre Office a try. Unless you have some very advanced MS Office needs it works very nicely.

7. stchman macrumors 6502a

IIRC, LibreOffice does not have the ability to Save As a .docx, but it does have the ability to open .docx files.

Me personally, I use the open document format:

.odt - Text
    .ods - Spreadsheet
    .odp - Presentation

Office 2010 has the ability to read/write in the open document formats.

IMO, LibreOffice is a fantastic office suite and beats MS Office hands down in the value department. LibreOffice works VERY well in OS X.

The other bonus about using LibreOffice over MS Office is LibreOffice is FAR less bloated.

----------

Your opinion, I find LibreOffice to be more than adequate to replace MS Office.

8. rctlr macrumors 6502a

rctlr

I'd agree. Libreoffice for me too. The other alternative is google docs. Good for Collaboration.