Open office or MS Office?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by tecknical, Sep 8, 2008.

1. tecknical macrumors regular

Putting aside the price differences, which one would/do you use? I have MS Office '08 but I was thinking of getting open office since its open source and probably better. Did anyone here use both? If you did which one do you prefer?

2. SpookyLars macrumors 6502

I use Neooffice. It's stable, free and sufficient for my needs.

3. oslomac macrumors newbie

I have both OO and MS, but am mixed. I dread the fact that you need to run X11 to get OO to work (Why can't they rewrite the program for MacOS X now that the Mac is such a popular platform?). Because of that, it takes forever to load the program when you try to launch it, and I always get an error message that I have to click OK to before it is ready to use.

However, once running, OO is better. MS for Mac doesnt have Access, so this negates any benefits it could have over OO anyhow. Meanwhile, OO has EXPORT TO PDF, which I use more often than either ODT or DOC file formats.

So, I prefer Open Office, but I hate X11.

4. SpookyLars macrumors 6502

Neooffice doesn't require the use of the X11.

5. a456 macrumors 6502a

a456

Every program can Save to PDF on Mac OS X. Select 'Print ...' from file menu and at the bottom left of the print dialogue box select the PDF drop down menu - select 'Save as PDF ... '

6. acxz macrumors regular

You have Office 08. OpenOffice and NeoOffice are just a click away. Why not test all three out for yourself?

7. maccompaq macrumors 65816

maccompaq

There is now a version of OpenOffice for the Mac that does not require X11. I have used it as well as NeoOffice and OpenOffice for Windows. I used them for over a year, but now I have switched to MSOffice 2008 for Mac and MSOffice for Windows. The primary reason is that OO for Mac is quite a bit slower than MSOffice for Mac.

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It depends on what you use them for. If, for example, you use advanced Excel functions and share files frequently with Windows users, MS Office is the best way to go. Open Office and iWork lack some of the advanced functions that MS Office has, but it's a non-issue if they're functions you don't use anyway. I use MS Office because of those reasons.

9. boast macrumors 65816

boast

I use openoffice because its free and offers what I need to write papers, graphing, and presentations.

And since I've been using OO for years, I am accustomed to its setup. Although Office does have pretty colors and a fancy GUI.

10. pjrobertson macrumors 6502a

OpenOffice.org 3.0 rc1 has just been released. It's fully aquafied, supports MS 2007 document formats, and should be great.
    Don't go MS!

It should be better than NeoOffice when it hits its final release because it's not written in Java or Carbon (but Cocoa)