Open office or Neo Office?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by donmei, Apr 30, 2008.

1. donmei macrumors regular

I need to do some moderately formatted stuff. Mainly a Resume.

I also have the ability to use Office 2K7 in fusion VM at no additional cost.

Which would you recommend.

Thanks,

Don

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

NeoOffice :)

OpenOffice for Aqua is in the early development stages.

3. italiano40 macrumors 65816

italiano40

I vote for Open office, it is as close to XP office as you get

4. deputy_doofy macrumors 65816

deputy_doofy

5. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

NeoOffice is far better for the moment, but once the full Aqua version of OpenOffice is released, I'd switch. NeoOffice lags behind OpenOffice because they take some time to update the OpenOffice builds (you do realize it's the same software with a different interface built in, right?), but it's also more likely to be stable when new releases come out.

jW

6. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

Mine goes for NeoOffice also,it's ugly but works :D ( think there built on the same interface though )

7. jcs1088 macrumors regular

Neo Office until Open Office releases an aqua version later this year.

8. 3247 macrumors regular

OpenOffice for X is more ugly.

So my recommendation also is: NeoOffice for now, OpenOffice Aqua when it's ready.

9. Slothapotamus macrumors member

Yet another vote for NeoOffice, until OpenOffice with Aqua is released. Currently OpenOffice looks aged. Rumour has it that they're redesigning the interface for the Windows version soon too. Office 2007, although it has its faults, really raised the bar in terms of good looking office software. It makes OpenOffice look like an ugly dog.

10. windowpain macrumors 6502a

I found NeoOffice surprisingly good.
    I like it because most of the options I use are right at the top of the screen where I need them.
    In contrast to the new office for mac, its childs play.

11. krye macrumors 68000

krye

Go with NeoOffice.
    As far as I know, you still have to install X11 for OpenOffice to run. It does not run native in OS X.

12. donmei thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the advice.

I installed Neooffice. yes I realize that its versions will lag a bit behind openoffice.

Once I accepted the fact that installiing an app on a Mac wont bloat a registry and slow the machine down, I just tried NeoOffice with the thought that if it didnt do what I needed, I'd just install OpenOffice also.

As it is, NeoOffice opened the fairly heavily formatted doc (lots of columns and tables) 100% correctly.

I'll still probably install MS O2k7 in an XP VM for the ultimate in compatability, but for now I'm good.

Like 90% of the people out there, I use about 5% of the functionality of any modern group of office apps.

Thanks again,

Don

p.s. what is the expected release date for the Aqua version of OO?

13. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

OpenOffice aqua is in development, you can pick it up, and its not too buggy (although I'm only using the simple features).

14. riscy macrumors 6502a

riscy

Glad you got sorted, but why bother with MS??

I received a .docx file a few months ago and it opened in TextEdit, as well as NeoOffice :) On a PC with XP I had to install a 20+MB converter from MS :)

15. donmei thread starter macrumors regular

I'll keep the MS stuff on a VM primarily to edit docs from work.

Our PMO uses many of the highly advanced features in Office for things like change tracking and version control. Aldo, many of the Excel spreadsheets have some very complex macros.

These are not docs I create, but are docs I contribute to, and then push back up into our Documentum doc mgmt system. In that case I need 100% guaranteed/assured compatability.

I can guarantee you that OO or NO would not pass that test.

But for things that I create, like my Resume. NO seems to do all I could ask.

Don

16. exegete77 macrumors 6502a

BTW, you can also download OO 3.0.0 Beta (same location), still in development, rather than 2.4.

17. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

for resume, it really doesn't matters, unless you are electronically sharing it.

18. chkdg8 macrumors 6502

19. exegete77 macrumors 6502a

Yes, I have used Oo_Org 3.0 Aqua for the past four months, no problems. I also use NeoOffice (if I need footnotes, because the Oo_Org 3.0 focus is not right when inserting footnotes).

But Oo_Org 3.0 Aqua is overall very good.