Open Office - What's Going On?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Newmacer2, Aug 17, 2013.

1. Newmacer2 macrumors regular

I just tried downloading the latest version of Open Office (4.0 I think) and it appears to download okay, but when I try to open it I get a message “OpenOffice” is damaged and can’t be opened. You should eject the disk image." I'm a member of the Open Office Forum, so I went there to see what was up. I get the following message,

"SQL ERROR [ mysqli ]
    Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock' (2) [2002]"

An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.

Everytime I use my Open Office spreadsheet, I get a message telling me I need to download the latest version, but I guess I can't.

Anyone know what's going on?

Thanks.

2. Bear macrumors G3

Sounds like your download may not have completed. Or they put a bad image up.

As an alternative, might I suggest the LibreOffice fork of Open Office?

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

4. Newmacer2 thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you Bear. I've not been that happy with Open Office of late, so maybe your suggestion came at a good time. Strange that I couldn't even get into the forum. Regardless of what Open Office is doing, it looks like the forum would be available. Go figure.

Thanks again for your time.

----------

I tried three times. Same thing happened.

Thanks though. I appreciate your taking the time to comment.

5. oldhifi macrumors 6502a

oldhifi

6. Newmacer2, Aug 17, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2013

Newmacer2 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks

I haven't tried it, but it sounds like it has fewer headaches, so I'm going to give it a whirl. Thank you.

P.S. Excel is the only thing I miss about Microsoft, so I'm hoping Libre will solve a lot of problems for me.

7. OLDCODGER macrumors 6502a

There's your problem, right there. Microsoft issued A DCMA against open office, perhaps in error. Should be sorted soon.