Open office

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by cbbob, Apr 24, 2009.

1. cbbob macrumors member

I looked at the price for MS office for Mac. I can't afford it. I would like to know what people think of open office. Is it a good program? Is it like MS office like they say it is?
    Thanks

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

3. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

It's not bad. I prefer Word, though.

Attached Files:

4. odej98 macrumors member

Open office is a good alternative for windows, but on a mac, I find it a little difficult to use because of the colors and layout. Try neooffice.org
    It is basically a gui on top of open office, but easier to see and use. And Free

5. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

open office aqua is better than neooffice

6. ButtUglyJeff macrumors 6502a

ButtUglyJeff

Which version did you look at? Most people qualify for the Student/Home edition, which is far less expensive.......

iWork isn't a bad option. I use it and OpenOfffice. And I got iWork Family Pack for $60 on eBay.

7. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Not always. I have both (with updates) and have had to use NeoOffice at times because OpenOffice was crashing on my documents (spreadsheets to be exact). Not sure what the cause was, but I generally find NeoOffice to be more stable, yet still find myself using OpenOffice more often than not for whatever reason.

8. fscarpa macrumors regular

Have you considered buying iWork? It's cheaper than MS Office and you can read/import/export in MS Office format.

9. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Still doesn't really compare to the original in terms of compatibility and features.

If you're a student, your university or institution probably has a licensing program where you can get the Office suite at a massive discount. If you're using it for work, see if your company will help you out.