Open or Locked???

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by andnc, Dec 14, 2010.

1. andnc macrumors newbie

I just got a new iPhone from the UK. It is supposed to be an open 'iPhone'.

Besides using a microsim from another network, is there a way to check if it's open or not?

If it's an open iPhone will it work on a network other than AT&T in the US or is the 'open' thing only for the UK.

I want to take the phone to other countries, and use local sims? Will that be possible?

THANKS A LOT

2. jcia macrumors member

If you bought it at the apple store for full price, then, it is a factory unlocked iphone. You can use it with any GSM carrier, you just the micro-simcard or you need to cut the regular simcard to make it fit. If you bought it at an O2(or some other service provider) store for a lower price than retail, is probably locked to that carrier.

3. andnc thread starter macrumors newbie

It was a gift. It is supposed to have been purchased at the full retail price.

And I want to be sure it's not jailbroken. Is there a way to figure that out?

BTW I'm a abs newbie with iPhone and not that good with tech.

Can you install iTunes store applications on a jailbroken phone? That could be a way to figure it out.

4. lapocompris macrumors regular

Look for an app called Cydia, if you find it, your phone is jailbroken.
    You can install AppStore app on a JB phone.

5. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

All iPhone's in the UK and Europe are factory unlocked. So If you were to bring it to the U.S., it will work with either AT&T or T-Mobile.