Open port/port forward Leopard- bizarre

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mrowmrow, Jun 29, 2009.

1. mrowmrow macrumors newbie

Hey there!

Here's the deal, I am so frustrated. I am trying to open port 59152 for Transmission on my Macbook Pro. I have the latest releases of everything, I am using an Airport Extreme base station with an older airport to boost my signal/connect my tivo w/out a wireless adapter.
    I have managed to get it open in the past but there was an update or something a month or two ago and at first it was still open and then it closed. I don't know what changed with the update, all I know is that I did n't change anything.

I have granted permission for Transmission to accept incoming connections on the firewall, little snitch allows it too. I have lighthouse, which worked at first but now I don't even know why I bother having it run. I have the port mapped through the airport utility.

PLEASE don't say to go to portforward.com because they haven't updated the Airport section since Leopard came out, yet every search I do someone repeatedly tells the person needing help to go to portforward.com.

I am going to attach some screen captures so you can see what I've got going on and maybe point out something I've missed.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Makosuke macrumors 603

I'm not sure if this would work in your more complex setup, but with my newer-airport-only setup I can just check the "Automatically Map Port" box in Transmission's prefs, then in the Airport Base Station's setup under Internet -> NAT check "Enable NAT Port Mapping Protocol", and Transmission will automatically forward the correct port to the computer it's running on.

I was actually a little surprised that it worked as smoothly as it did. I had initially forgotten to open the corresponding port on the computer's firewall which caused it to seem like it wasn't working, but once I fixed that it worked perfectly.

Might be worth a try, at least.

3. mrowmrow thread starter macrumors newbie

I have everything set to forward ports, but thanks for the suggestion.

Anyone else have any ideas? PRETTY PLEASE?!?

4. madog macrumors 65816

madog

I have the new and old Airport Express, and I had problems intially with Transmissions "Automatically Map Port" option on one of my machines. One computer it would work, but on the desktop, where it mattered, it would not until I manually reset the router and disabled/enabled the setting in Transmission.

Other than that, you are doing all the proper stuff as long as the laptop you are forwarding to is at x.x.x.250. (The one you have listed there, You can check in the Network preferences on the computer, it can change depending on machines connected and their order connected to your network).

I would suggest disabling the NAT Default Host option unless you know what it is exactly as it is not necessary. That could be your problem.

If the auto port forwarding does not work, then I also suggest using the DHCP reservations to assign each (or just your main BT computer) a specific IP so the forwarding options don't need to be changed every few days; so a specific machine is always 10.0.1.250, or whatever you set it as. However, mess with that after you successfully forward a port.

5. mrowmrow thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmmm, I tried disabling the NAT default host and that didn't work. Right now everything shares one ip, but I think that's how I had it when it was still working.

Anyone else... suggestions?