Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sup3rknova

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 11, 2010
Riverside, CA
Hello everyone,
Every so often I would send family members large photo files or video files.On occasion I would receive them as well. I usually upload them to sharing sites, (megaupload ((when it was up)), fileserve, etc.) but since a lot were taken down I've tried out filepost. Ive run into issues when downloading from it. Mega and file serve would work very well but filepost is VERY slow. A co worker suggested i open ports(?) How would i do this being on OSX LION.? Or is this even possible. One of my family members sends me Vimeo style videos he creates and edits. I only ask about filepost since I tried out a membership to it and I would just like to know because it frustrated me so much! LOL . Any thoughts? My Xbox and web browsing work fine though. :apple:

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4S: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Opening ports will absolutely do nothing to help you increase speed. Ports are ways to allow or deny access to your computer through a firewall. Either a port is open and allows traffic through or it's closed and nothing gets through.

Your port for sharing those files is either 80 or 441 depending on if the site is using SSL/TLS/HTTPS (which are all essentially the same thing).

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4S: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

The difference in speed is a result of so many variables.

Your computer's power and health status
Your ISP and level of service you pay for
Local loading on your ISP's network by other users in the area
All the different hops (routers, switch, NOC's etc) between you and the site
All the other users of the site stressing it and loading it.

The best you can do, is make sure your own system is healthy, meaing that it's in good running condition and has plenty of available RAM. Check your ISP speed at www.speedtest.net. Consider getting faster service if available. And make sure you're not over loading your own network as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.