Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

osxoverwin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 9, 2011
Hi guys,
here's the thing: I might buy a PowerMac G5 from eBay but it comes w/o OS X installed, so obviously there's nothing to boot from. I don;t mind the install, but how can I open the SuperDrive without and Apple keyboard (so no dedicated "Eject" key)? I don;t think the paperclip trick will work as I don't think there's a "emergency eject hole" open since Apple his the drive so well and only the door is available. What if I boot up pressing ALT (Windows keyboard, should work, right?) and then select the SuperDrive, will it open?

Thx!:):apple:

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
The G5 I have at work has a normal drive with the hole for a paper clip. You just need to get the drive door slid down. That's not too hard (I've done it before). You can do it with your fingers if you press against the door and push it down.

This
may help.

Also there is the Eject icon for the menu bar.

osxoverwin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 9, 2011
The G5 I have at work has a normal drive with the hole for a paper clip. You just need to get the drive door slid down. That's not too hard (I've done it before). You can do it with your fingers if you press against the door and push it down.

This
may help.

Also there is the Eject icon for the menu bar.

Oh, didn't know they had the eject hole, or the F12 thing!:eek:
Thx man! Cheers!
:):apple:

Tanner1294

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2011
Another way is when the computer's booting hold down the left mouse button. After a while it will eject whatever's in the drive. The reason being in case the OS doesn't recognize a disc in the drive so it won't let you eject (like in a slot loading drive). I had the same issue with my PowerMac G4 Quicksilver (I'm typing on it now haha). It had no OS and I couldn't open the drive! I found the paperclip hole but it was too far below the casing so I couldn't reach it. Wonderful computer though. Even at 733mhz and Tiger! :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.