open program but not appear in dock?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mattwolfmatt, Mar 18, 2009.

1. mattwolfmatt macrumors 65816

mattwolfmatt

Is there a way to have a program open at login (I know, I know, select "open at login") but then NOT appear in the dock when it's open? I'd like to have my Garmin software always open but hate the cluttered space of having it open. I can always close it with Cmd+tab.

I'm running Leopard 10.5.6.

I have a feeling the answer's no, but I'd love to hear a way! Thanks!

2. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Yes you can. Sys Pref/ Acct/ Login items. "Hide"

You might want to search next time, or search the help in osx.

3. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Umm, no. That makes it hide so that no windows appear for the program, but the icon is in the Dock (dimmed sometimes, but still there). You might want to get your facts straight before you go reprimanding people for not searching.

To the OP, try downloading a program called Dockless, it's designed for exactly that purpose.

jW

4. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

I use Dockless and it works like a charm.:)

One thing about using Dockless that I have not been able to find a way to change is that when the app is running there is also no indication of it in the menu bar. If I want to change preferences for the application, I have to bring up dockless and make the app visible, then open it and change preferences, and close it and make it invisible again, then relaunch. :confused:

5. mattwolfmatt thread starter macrumors 65816

mattwolfmatt

Uh, yeah. It still appears in the dock. Get your facts straight indeed.

I searched google, macrumors, and osx help. When I didn't find what I wanted, I asked on macrumors. I suppose 95% of questions have been answered somewhere, but that's what the forums are for...for sharing information with others. If you don't like it, then maybe you should try another site.

Sorry I don't have 4400 posts like you.

6. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

There are programs that run without Dock icons.

Conan the Librarian and UnderCover are two.

Sorry that I don't know how they do it, but searching for their names might bring up discussions on the topic.

7. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Google: run without Dock icons site:forums.macrumors.com
    Jeez... Is that so hard???

8. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

I've done something similar with Quicksilver. Couldn't remember how I did it but a quick Googling found this:

Hide any program's Dock icon

Hope that helps

9. Melrose macrumors 604

Melrose

Agreed.

I used to have the the same problem - but oddly enough, if you focus the program (click it.. that is, if it has a window you can see even though it's not in the dock), then hit CMD-, it will bring up prefs for that app even though its menubar is not visible.