Open .pst files on a Mac without Outlook?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Blue Velvet, Mar 12, 2008.

1. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Jul 4, 2004
    I've got some mailboxes in Outlook 2003 on my Windows work machine that I'd like to export and open on my Mac, maybe saving them on a USB key and taking them home.

Can I open or work with these on my MBP running Leopard? The emails only have to be read-only, even just being able to open and read them would be OK, but I'd also like the attachments, if at all possible.

I can't currently test this on my work (Tiger) Mac as Mail isn't working. Any clues from the wise ones?

Thanks in advance :)

2. chinarut macrumors member

Nov 14, 2005
    i know this post is rather old but i thought i'd bump this thread.

I basically rebuilt my machine from scratch using an Erase & Install of Snow Leopard and want to avoid installing Windows just for the purpose of accessing my .pst archives.

has anyone found a practical way to read old messages in these archives since this was posted without firing up Windows?
  3. Gatteau macrumors 6502a

May 23, 2009
    There's an app called O2M. It's not free, but it does the job.
  4. arjen92 macrumors 65816

Sep 9, 2008
    Below sea level
    This probably wont help you much, but I wanted my parent to make the switch to mac's. We had 2 laying around. But they wanted their mail on the new mac. So I found a guide using "eudora". Probably wont help you as you need windows, but it will help the first poster (although way too late).
  5. john2006wright macrumors regular

Jun 25, 2007
    thanks for this post. I have looking for a simple/free way of doing this. However, I don't have outlook on my PC. I do have the .pst files on my pc and I want to get them into my Will eudora be able to recognise just the .pst files on my PC or does it look for outlook accounts.
    I read the instructions and it seems the latter is true but if anyone has tried this I would like to hear if it works.
    I tried a similar procedure converting to mbox then to thunderbird then to but unfortunately I couldn't get it to work for the same reason. It could not import .pst files without it being contained in an outlook account