Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jas870

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 6, 2009
howdy ... i've been having a relatively small issue with mountain lion that has become a big hassle. in past versions of OS X, whenever i'd resize an open/save dialog box in an application, it would be that size the next time i went to open/save. in mountain lion, however, those dialog boxes always default to the smallest possible size (which is too small to read a filename longer than a few characters). so i have to resize the dialog box -- every time! i open and save a lot of files, so this gets pretty tedious.

this doesn't seem to happen in apple programs, but it definitely does in the office suite and the adobe creative suite.

i'd been waiting for the first ML maintenance update, hoping this issue would be fixed, but no luck. i've searched these forums and google and haven't found any answers (although i've been having a tough time figuring out the right search terms to use, so perhaps i'm just missing the answer). any help would be greatly appreciated!

jas870

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 6, 2009
hmm ... i'd guessed this was a problem other people were having too, but now i'm thinking that, given the lack of replies (including "yeah, that's bugging me too!" sorts of responses), maybe there's something wrong with my system in particular? any ideas where that sort of setting might reside (to remember dialog box sizes)?

Ahead123

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2012
I also have a open/save dialog boxes problem (related to font size though, not box... size), my post here, but I can confirm the open/save box size is the usual (i.e. decent size). I also got lack of replies so these open/save boxes problem must be quite rare indeed....

jas870

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 6, 2009
thanks for writing back, ahead123. i saw your post before writing mine and had been hopeful you'd have found a solution that might help me too, but i see we're both still dealing with our respective dialog box problems. i'll keep digging and will post back if i find anything helpful!

Ahead123

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2012
Yes, download and launch pref setter here, open COM.APPLE.FINDER.PLIST, (don't follow their instructions since they are obsolete), search for a string called textSize, open all the arrowed items, change all textsize items to 15 (even for the icons, for all of them, wherever you see textsize change it to 15 or your favorite size), and restart finder from the same app or reboot.

It's not exactly what I was looking for (since I have a ML in VMWare with 15px fonts _everywhere_ without the need to use that application, but I can not remember how I did get this), but it works.

(Sorry this is the solution for another thread related to fonts size, not dialog box size! sorry)

Last edited:

WikiMicky

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2012
open file dialogue box

Same issue here - most annoying
Have to resize the box every time I open a file.

Also why can't the dialogue box show which directory you are in.
A bread crumb would do.

WikiMicky

pjdiddy

macrumors newbie
Dec 16, 2011
Me too

I have the same issue - every time I save a file, the dialog box is the same small size. I have a bunch of client folders in the sidebar and so either have to scroll down it (annoying) or enlarge the window every time. it used to be the case that once you get it the size you wanted - per app - it would stay that way. :mad:

ChukBucket

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2012
London
Having exactly the same issue with open/save dialog boxes. Since Mountain Lion update. Windows shrink, every time, most annoying. Anyone figured this out yet?

Jasonscott71

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2009
Northern Virginia
Let me add myself to the chorus, except for me the sidebar in the dialog box is too big! I must have done something to make it that way, but I can't figure out how to undo it . . . . anyone?

Jasonscott71

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2009
Northern Virginia
Let me add myself to the chorus, except for me the sidebar in the dialog box is too big! I must have done something to make it that way, but I can't figure out how to undo it . . . . anyone?

Actually let me clarify--my problem is the size of the sidebar/favorites panel every time I use the save dialog box. When I save a file, I drag it to the left how I want it, but it never saves--every time I save a file, it does the same thing. Any ideas?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.