open/save dialogue spin up time with externals

Discussion in 'macOS' started by speakerwizard, Dec 22, 2007.

1. speakerwizard macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

im no noob to mac and always just accepted this but i thought id post about it, anyone else notice how when you open an open or save dialogue box it usually stalls in order to spin up any external hard drives (and i have 3), Anyone heard of a way to maybe restrict the dialogue from doing this or maybe change the order, i usually just need to access the boot drive anyway, it would be ok for it to spin up the externals if i then navigate to them in the dialogue box.

2. sebf macrumors member

I get the same problem with 2 drives that I have attached to my Mac. You normally have to wait for about 3 seconds for the Open/Save box to appear, while the drives spin up.

I have also noticed that it does the same if you hit Cmd+Space (Spotlight) as I use that a Quicksilver style way of accessing applications (without actually installing Quicksilver) E.g. Hitting Cmd+Space and typing term and pressing enter launches Terminal.

I think I have fixed the problem with Spotlight, by just telling it to exclude that drive from searches. Not ideal but kinda works, though I don't think it works with the Open/Save boxes.

3. santangelo macrumors regular

Try turning your hard drives so they are on all the time instead of spinning down when not in use

Sys Prefs > Energy Saver > Untick put hard drives to sleep

4. speakerwizard thread starter macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

I thought this was just relevant when the computer sleeps, i still want auto sleep mode.