open / save file dialogue slow on 10.6.2

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Dragonforce, Feb 9, 2010.

1. Dragonforce macrumors 6502a

Dragonforce

After using my Mac Pro for a while without rebooting, the "open file..." dialogue starts to slow down. For example in Safari when I'm pressing "cmd O" it takes like 5 seconds until the window pops up, sometimes showing me the beachball... this is system wide, it is reproducible in every application and will be fixed on the next reboot - then it takes a couple of hours until it starts hanging again. I have no idea whats causing this but it has been there for months and right now its going on my nerves...

There's also a thread on the Apple boards
    http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2163764&start=0&tstart=0

Anyone else experiencing this ?

2. bmcgonag macrumors 65816

bmcgonag

I don't know if this is at all related, but I've noticed for a while that when I have my one TB My eBook connected and on, when I do anything that opens the open/save dialogue it has to wait for the My eBook to spin up first. Not sure why. I'm not running any of my OS from it. And i'm almost never pulling anything from it for most applications. The only think I keep on the My eBook is Movies and TV Shows, so for that I can understand it having to spin up, but the rest of the time when I'm not accessing it, I don't get it.

Maybe you have an external drive that sleeps and has to spin up when you go to the Open/Save dialogue. Maybe not.

3. Dragonforce thread starter macrumors 6502a

Dragonforce

After extensive use of Google I found a solution:
    Ejecting the Bootcamp hard drive fixes this problem instantly.