Open Source Alternative to Dreamweaver

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by wintermute509, Jul 13, 2008.

1. wintermute509 macrumors newbie

I use a macbook pro for work but my job foolishly bought dreamweaver for windows.

So I was wondering if you guys knew of any good open source alternatives to dreamweaver.

I know I could install parallels but I don't feel like blowing money right now and I need an immidate solution.

similarly i know using dreamweaver sucks, but I'm not good at coding and need a somewhat immediate solution.

2. jaikob macrumors 6502

jaikob

There is no good alternative to dreamweaver. Did they "Just" buy it? if so give adobe a call, and say that you have "just bought a mac" and was wondering if you can convert your license to run both on windows and on mac, "A universal serial".

I had to call, and I got charged 150 USD for the conversion only because I did not have CS3.3 Version, but if they just bought it, then it should be no problem.

3. wintermute509 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'd thought about this and didn't know if there was such a thing was possible. It is the cs3 version so I'll give this a shot.

4. wintermute509 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'd thought about this and didn't know if there was such a thing was possible. It is the cs3 version so I'll give this a shot.

5. Pixellated macrumors 65816

There is a windows app called Kompozer that is a good alternative.

6. jaikob macrumors 6502

jaikob

Eh, not a powerful application though. Its for like a 2 page personal webpage. It also doesn't deal with dynamic languages like PHP, ASP, .NET, JSP, and coldfusion.

Kompozer also has a knack for writing invalid html.

7. reclusivemonkey macrumors 6502

reclusivemonkey

8. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I think Adobe has a policy that will allow you to essentially convert your license from one to the other. If you are a legitimate owner of the software, regardless of purchase, I believe you can pay a certain amount and get the new software for the correct OS. If you did just buy it though then I would certainly see if they can't waive the fee.