Open Source with FrontPage Emulation

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Esme, Oct 7, 2007.

1. Esme macrumors newbie

Esme

Hi,

I, unfortunately, need to create a web page that is compatible with MS FrontPage. Using FrontPage is a requirement of my employer as they give me a "staging area" with a static IP. I absolutely do not want to buy MS software to run on my Mac home platform. Are there any open source programs that will emulate FP and allow me to work seamlessly between home and office?

Thank you.

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

The fact that your employer is footing the bill means that he has a right to get what he wants. If he demands Front Page, then you have a duty to use Front Page. It is your duty to educate him about the alternatives. In the end, however, it is your employer's call. If you don't heed his call, then he should replace you with someone who will.

The opensource community does its best produce standards-compliant Web editors. Among the visual editors are Mozilla's Nvu and the W3C's Amaya. They are free, standards-compliant, and guaranteed to survive the long haul.

3. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

I am sorry but seems your only option is a copy of windows...

4. Cabbit macrumors 68020

Cabbit

do you have ms word, its pretty much the same

5. Esme thread starter macrumors newbie

Esme

Thank you for the open source leads...and the job "advice". The fact that your employer is footing the bill means that he has a right to get what he wants. However, I'm a teacher; no bill is footed, and I have to do this on my weekends. Thus, my reluctance to buy FP for Mac.

6. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

IIRC, Microsoft produced Front Page for the Mac back in 1936, but that was a long time ago.

7. Esme thread starter macrumors newbie

Esme

Ha, ha, and ha. I think NVU will work splendidly, thanks.