Open .spx files on Windows

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by keysofanxiety, Dec 9, 2013.

1. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Hi all,

I was just wondering if there's a decent third-party application which will allow you to open .spx files (System Profiler files) on Windows? The reason being that we use Windows in-office and we quickly need to view a Mac's information from those computers.

We used to save the System Profiler as a PDF, and export that -- it would have the entirety of the information easily viewable. However, it no longer works with Mavericks; just seems to export the highlighted part rather than the entire system profiler. I submitted a bug report for that about a month ago but it's a case of waiting to see if Apple fix it, or feel it even needs addressing.

I was debating creating a non-resource heavy VM (Panther or Tiger) so that these files can be easily viewed, but in all honesty that's over-engineering a solution to a problem I'm hoping can be addressed quickly. Plus I don't much fancy lugging my Mac into work just to view System Profile files.

I'd appreciate any ideas that the brainy MR members can offer. :)

Thanks all!

2. Ccrew macrumors 68020

An .SPX file is just an .XML formatted text file. IE will open it or you can get any decent app that'll read XML files. (I use UltraEdit but it's $)

3. keysofanxiety thread starter macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Hi, thanks for your reply.

When opening in IE it seems to think it's a download ... Open or Save just puts it into a download loop. When opening through Chrome/Firefox it's lines of jibberish.

I'll try a trial of UltraEdit now and let you know what the score is :)

Thanks again for your reply.

4. keysofanxiety thread starter macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

No luck with UltraEdit I'm afraid. Tried both with and without DOS view. :(

Untitled.png

5. Ccrew macrumors 68020

Well, that actually is an XML view and all the data is indeed there. IE will open it if you change the extension to .xml. I take it you're looking for something in a prettier format? It'll look the same in IE.

Prettier format you'll probably not get in Windows, System Profiler is coded to pull in that XML and display it as non-raw data.

6. keysofanxiety thread starter macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Ah, that's what I needed to know. Basically just looking for a third-party application that will display it ... prettier :(

7. Beth in MN macrumors newbie

agree

I, too, wish we could still print the whole file to a PDF.

8. kryten2 macrumors 6502a

You can try in Automator :

1. System Profile --> Found in Utilities
    2. New Text File
    3. Print Finder Items

In Terminal :

Code:
    system_profiler -detailLevel mini > Documents/MacPro.txt
    cupsfilter Documents/MacPro.txt > Documents/MacPro.pdf 2> /dev/null

Info : manual page for system_profiler and manual page for cupsfilter