Open To Try Android - Can No Longer Justify an iPhone

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by robertpolson, Jul 12, 2016.

Tags:
  1. robertpolson macrumors regular

My wife needs a new phone and I will be giving her my iPhone 6. I have been saving for an iPhone 7 and was planning to get it in September. However, I may need to get a new phone soon.

I have been using Apple products (iPhones + MacBooks + iPads) exclusively for the past 6 years. However, I think the time has come for me to make a change. I can no longer justify paying $1200 CAD for a phone. As strong as my preference is for Apple products, I just have better ideas of what I could be doing with my money. Maybe it is part of maturity or Canadian dollar being low.

I have placed an order for OnePlus 3 $500 CAD and will be trying Android tomorrow.

I am willing to let go of iMessage and iCloud as I have enough knowledge and skills to setup alternative solutions. I hope that I will enjoying using Android as my last experience with Android was not so pleasant but that was 7 years ago.

I hope that I can enjoy using Android and will make the switch.

2. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Be prepared for the couple weeks of adjustments.

If you have a Mac, the use iSyncr for syncing your iTunes library.

If you want to drag and drop, download Android File Transfer for Mac.

Consider moving your iCloud contacts and calendars over to Google, and if you want similar resource to iTunes Match, consider installing Google Music Manager and syncing your existing library (up to 25,000 tracks) to your Google account and you will then get access to them with the Google Play Music app that has become the default on many Android phones these days.

Enjoy :)

3. mclld macrumors 68000

4. essexman macrumors newbie

I've had the Oneplus 3 for a couple of weeks and so far it's a great phone. You need to give it a few weeks to get used to the new ecosystem. I've used the Oneplus 1 for a couple of years and never regretted it, it's been great using that phone and even today after 2 years it's working perfect.
    Some say there are more ads on android. (Depending on how many adware apps y install). There is an option of rooting (not at all as daunting as it sounds) to get rid of them but you would lose use of android pay and some banking apps.

5. iSheep5S macrumors 6502a

iSheep5S

With the amount of iPhone users that are gushing over the Samsung Galaxy S7.... I'm fine with my galaxy S7. :)

Seriously tho. The longest I stayed with iPhone was 18 months with the 3GS. I was bored to tears. After that as mainly an android user the most I can stick with iPhone when I switch back is 6 months.

I love iPad tho. Go figure.

6. cube macrumors G5

Try Passport and Z30 first. The Passport has more bands.

7. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

get google photos to sync all your photos across your devices. Well worth doing.

8. robertpolson thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you for your recommendations. So far, I am really enjoying OnePlus 3 and what Android has to offer.

9. ramram55 macrumors 6502

Can you give an insight of how you connect Imessage with other iphone holders.

10. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

As long as iMessage and your telephone number are joined, then your iPhone should automatically know it's sending to another iMessage user and turn the message blue ... If the other side has an iPhone device and hasn't enabled iMessage then it will just send as a text and appear green.

There is nothing really more to it.

11. robertpolson thread starter macrumors regular

Does anyone have any suggestions for a replacement for Find My Friends and a way for someone without a phone to send text message to me? Need my grandmother to be able to contact me. She always used iMessage on her Mac before.

12. Michael Goff macrumors G3

Michael Goff

Google Hangouts? Skype?

13. M5RahuL macrumors 68020

M5RahuL

https://www.viber.com/en/products/mac

14. GrumpyMom macrumors 601

GrumpyMom

Is there an article or resource to help Android newbies learn what apps are safe to download and what kinds to beware of? I've been told that app stores for android don't really have an approval process for their apps the way the Apple Store does. How do you avoid getting malware?

I know I'm going to have to fend for myself more if I leave the walled garden but I am not sure where to start learning how to. I tried looking up some things on my own but got results that were sort of click-baity. Lol, and one things for sure, even now with 2GB of ram on my IPad mini 4, an ad heavy page can still cause a reload. Sigh.

15. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Essentially just download apps ONLY from the official play store.

Don't sideload APK's and any app that looks like it's knocking off (copying) other apps or is 'unofficial' simply don't bother with. Avoid torrenting and using apps that circumvent copywrited content such as movie or music download apps (essentially torrent portals, turning your device into a mode that you have no control of what info your device could be sending back out).

Essentially anything giving you paid content for free is going to be dodgy.

Just use common sense and don't be tempted by greed and you will be fine.

16. GrumpyMom macrumors 601

GrumpyMom

Ah, thank you. So basically exercise the same caution and restraint I've always done on Windows as well as Apple. Got it.

17. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Yeah exactly, common sense is the key. Android platform is riskier but only because users have easier ability to install apps from outside of the official play-store and easily pirate [steal] apps and content .... If you exercise caution and keep your apps and source legitimate, then it is very safe.

18. c0ppo macrumors 6502a

c0ppo

I do agree, but sometimes 'bad' apps end up on play store as well :(

19. JackieInCo macrumors 601

I use an app called Adguard to block ads in apps. It is not available in the play store due to the fact that it does block ads systemwide so the only way to get the app is from the developers website. This is one of those times it's ok to side load an app so don't be too afraid to do this once in a while.

20. From A Buick 8 macrumors 68040

From A Buick 8

any way to play iTunes movies on an android phone?

21. robertpolson thread starter macrumors regular

When uninstalling apps from Android, can I just uninstall using the system uninstall function or do I have to have a dedicated uninstaller app?

22. Michael Goff macrumors G3

Michael Goff

You don't need a dedicated uninstalled. Just go into settings, apps, and have fun. Or in the app drawer, you can just drag up to where it says "uninstall". Long press before, obviously.

23. admob71 Suspended

admob71

You can sync all itunes content quite easily, or just plug into a pc/Mac and drag and drop The original file.

24. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

New devices will not mount on a Mac unless you use something like Android File Transfer or an SD Card.

25. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

There's no MTP on the Mac?