Open Window In A New Folder

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by UtahRugbyGuy, Aug 5, 2011.

1. UtahRugbyGuy macrumors newbie

Hi. Anyone that can answer this would be my hero.

I'm a 20 year Mac user and I've always wanted to know if there's a way to open a specific folder in a new window ...rather than opening a new window and having to follow the file path back to that folder.

I know Mac is far superior to any other OS but it's the one super basic thing that it doesn't have. It seems trivial that there isn't a way to right-click (control+click) a folder in Finder and have it say "Open Folder In New Window" so you can keep the same window open that you're on but have the new one open next to it so you can copy stuff back and forth or whatnot ...without having to open a new blank window and clicking back through 20 folders just to get to that same folder.

Web browsers have it so you can right click any link and the dialog comes up and it says "Open Link In New Window"

Same thing, essentially.

Does anyone know if there's a way to do it or a program or a plug-in???

Note:
    I am running OS 10.6.8 Snow Leopard. Maybe Lion addresses this issue but I'm not upgrading for a while.

Attached Files:

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Hold the Command key while you double-click the folder to open it in a new Finder window. You can create a custom keyboard shortcut for that if you like.

3. UtahRugbyGuy thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow! Seriously? That's easy. Wish I would've asked this question 10 years ago :)

Thank you sir! Problem solved.

Cheers!

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

5. Gregg2 macrumors 603

If you put your Documents folder, for example, in the Dock, you can directly open any folder in it in a new window.

6. UtahRugbyGuy thread starter macrumors newbie

7. UtahRugbyGuy, Aug 6, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2011

UtahRugbyGuy thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, I have another one (I looked through your link before asking but no luck). See if I can stump you. It's another one I've always wanted to be able to do but thought it wasn't possible.

Is there a way to select a whole bunch of files and say, "Create New Folder For Selected Files"? (Similar to Photoshop with layers. You can select a bunch and create a group layer with multi layers inside)

...that way when things inside a folder get really cluttered, you can grab bunches of files and create a new folder and it automatically drops the selected files into the newly created folder. ...and you can rename it at that point.

Doesn't seem like it would be that hard to write into the programming.

Anyone? :)

8. Gregg2 macrumors 603

If you create the new Folder first, then select the files, all you have to do is drag them to the folder. That's maybe a half a step more than the approach you suggest, which, by the way, I don't think you can do.