"Open with" default won't stick

Discussion in 'macOS High Sierra (10.13)' started by Jethro!, Mar 25, 2018.

1. Jethro! macrumors regular

HS 10.13.2. Trying to make QuickTime Player the default app to open .mov and .mp4 files, but I can't make this preference "stick". e.g. Opening "Get Info" for an .mp4 file, I change "Open with:" to QT Player, check "Always Open With", confirm, click "Change All..." in the Info window to make sure, confirm, and that should do it. And it does, until after a restart/reboot or two, then it reverts back to another strange app for its default.

Looks like a HS bug. Can anyone confirm?

2. jbarley macrumors 68040

jbarley

I can confirm it's not a bug on my High Sierra install, Quicktime is the default player with no input from me.
    Just which other "strange app" are you referring to?

3. Jethro! thread starter macrumors regular

One type insists on being opened by Tagger (mp3 metadata editor) and the other by MPEG Streamclip. I should be able to change the default associated apps, and I can, it just doesn't "stick" permanently.

4. jbarley macrumors 68040

jbarley

Maybe try and rebuild the "LaunchServices database", any of several methods can be used.
    Probably the easiest is to run Onyx Maintenance with LaunchServices selected.
    In fact it wouldn't hurt to run the whole Maintenance package, never know it just might clear out a rogue cache file.

5. monokakata, Mar 25, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2018

monokakata macrumors 68000

monokakata

I had this same problem Amadeus Pro (an audio app) always tried to open mp4 files.

I wasn't able to fix it until I ran into something on the Adobe forums (I think; I forget).

Start your Mac in Safe Mode, let it boot up, log in as yourself, then shut down.

In my case, that solved the problem completely.

6. jbarley macrumors 68040

jbarley

That figures, one of the things starting in "Safe Mode" does is clear some caches.

7. jbarley macrumors 68040

jbarley

Jethro!
    did any of the suggestions fix your issue?

8. Jethro! thread starter macrumors regular

I haven't had a chance to try them yet. But I can say that updating to 10.13.3 did not fix it.
    Thanks for asking.