'Open with' lists apps on backup drive

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by funkychunkz, Jan 28, 2008.

1. funkychunkz macrumors 6502a

funkychunkz

I have a backup up of several computers mounted on my computer. I frequently (but inconsistently) get duplicate suggestions in the 'open with' drop down menu. When the system searches for useable apps with regards to a filetype, it seems to search all connected disks. If I select the wrong one, I have to wait for my backup drive to spin up for the program to launch.

Does anyone know of a way to keep copies of an app from showing up on the list, short of keeping the backup unmounted?

Attached Files:

2. andy.barron macrumors 6502

sorry, explain a bit deeper what you are trying to do?

3. dukeblue91 macrumors 65816

dukeblue91

Maybe I'm not understanding you right but looking at your picture you were trying to open a text file.
    If thats the case you can just double click it to open in Text Edit, if you don't want to open it with Text edit thats when you go to open "with".

However if you want to open a text file with a certain program other than Text Edit on a regular bases you can click "Command I" the file and change the association to another program for good.

4. funkychunkz thread starter macrumors 6502a

funkychunkz

I suppose a better example might have been an image file, as I frequently open the same filetype, and even the same image with different programs.

5. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

I only back up about once a week and part of the reason I keep my back up drive disconnected is for this very reason. It's really annoying and it slows things down considerably. I too, would like to know if there is a solution.

6. funkychunkz thread starter macrumors 6502a

funkychunkz

Ahh...

I figured it out. lsregister skips invisible folders while scanning with the -r option, which I believe is the default functioning, unless you open the application explicitly.

I did:

/System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Versions/A/Support/lsregister
    -kill -r -domain user -domain local -domain system​

Then logged out and in again.